Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

clem55 12-25-2010 06:19 PM

I never would expect a thrilled reaction from kids that young unless it was a toy they wanted. It doesn't mean they don't like it, though. Kids usually have so many packages to open, half the time they don't even look at what is inside. Think back, would you have been excited to get a pillowcase and quilt for Xmas? Most kids don't even get excited about new clothes.

cowpie2 12-25-2010 06:23 PM

Often times the reaction is not what you expect, and sometimes the recipient just blows you out of the water. I never though my boys could care less about what I make. Until I made a couple of quilts to give away. Then my 17 year old asked if he could have a quilt someday, one of the good ones that I hand quilt. (and believe me you should be on a fast horse when you examine my hand quilting).

great aunt jacqui 12-25-2010 06:28 PM

My 31 year old neice got her quilt yesterday. (yellow and grey and black log cabin) I just deleted (from here) the whole reason I hated making it and why I procrastinated working on it.

I had a simple thank you and my other neices urged her to open it up. they all oood and ahaaad. I finished it just to keep family peace. So she wouldnt be slighted and ever say everyone else got one from me/ I just distanced my self from this quilt, from the work I did and gave it up. I wont ever ask how it is or if she used it. I know unlike my other quilts this one was made without love

i procrastinated and disliked

lalaland 12-25-2010 06:32 PM

[quote=great aunt jacqui]My 31 year old neice got her quilt yesterday. (yellow and grey and black log cabin) I just deleted (from here) the whole reason I hated making it and why I procrastinated working on it.

Family peace is important so kudos to you for hanging in there and preserving it. Now it's time to do something fun and enjoyable to the MAX!

natalieg 12-25-2010 06:46 PM

I made throw-size quilts for my dad and step-mom last year for Christmas. Poured my heart and soul into them. They have been woodcrafters for over 30 years, so my thought was-they will really appreciate these...they definitely know the value of homemade...wrong. Dad called and said "Thanks for the little blankets, they are nice". I just about had to scrape myself off the floor. A few months later, I explained why I had taken so long to choose the patterns and the fabrics that I did for each quilt and still think it fell on deaf ears!
But, I don't let that stop me from giving them as gifts!

Cyn 12-25-2010 06:59 PM

Sometimes quilts become more special with time!

karenchi 12-25-2010 07:03 PM

Some people just don't understand the time and thought that goes into a quilt....I mailed my new GD her quilt 14 yrs. ago....Called my daughter and she told me that her husband had the quilt in the dirst with GD on it.....I was so mad!

maryb44662 12-25-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by missgigglewings
Here is my reaction story: Made all 5 grandchildren quilts. My son's child was so excited to get a San Deigo chargers quilt that we could not get a clear picture of him. He is 9 years old and loves the Chargers, he hooped and hollered and jumped up and down and made his bed with it right away. My daughter's son,(who is 7 and my little "ange") and his step-siblings thought they were getting pillows because I wrapped the quilts in matching pillow cases. They didn't even bother to take them out till thier mom told them to. Then none of these 3 beautiful quilts were unfolded and admired. I did hear one of them say "oh, its a quilt inside, thanks". It will be awhile before they get another one. It is more rewarding to quilt for our vets!

A few years ago I made all three of my grand kids a quilt. The two older boys were playing baseball (the oldest, now in college still plays). I made the boys large quilts for their beds of baseball characters embroidered on the plain blocks which took a long time. I think they are still in their mother's closet. The little girl loves horses, so I made her the same only with all kinds of horses embroidered on the plain blocks. Well, hers is in her closet. They will have to ask for a quilt before they ever get another one from me. Had I known, I would not have put all that time and effort in those quilts. So much for kids liking quilts....lol

suebee 12-25-2010 08:10 PM

there you go, I would also think twice before making the less appreciative something again. You did a wonderful thing.

MistyMarie 12-25-2010 08:14 PM

I did not get a good response from my MIL when I made her the quilt (that is my avatar). However, when my husband's ex-wife... (who has been his ex for about 20 years), mailed her a store-bought quilt this year, she ooooh and aaaaahed over the quilt. I guarantee she won't be getting a hand-made one from me any time in the future!