Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reactions to receiving quilts.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reactions-receiving-quilts-t85143.html)

donnahbm3 12-26-2010 05:48 PM

I made Daughter quilts for my two grown daughters. They both cried. I think they liked them.

Annz 12-26-2010 06:29 PM

I know. It is hard because we obviously make them with the recipient in mind and it hurts when they don't appreciate. I guess the reward comes for within us when we are making them.

kateyb 12-26-2010 06:30 PM

I've always gotten good reactions for my quilts. We were always encouraged to make gifts for each other.
Gave one to a niece for a wedding gift, received a very nice thank you note, six months later they bought their first home and I received a letter saying they were decorating their bedroom around the quilt.
My brother asked me to make a quilt for his wife. She wanted to make one but has MS and has lost fine motor control. When I asked her what design and colors she wanted she said Split Rail and every color. I used the color order of a color wheel and did the colors on the diagonal. It looked like a rainbow. She told my mom that no one had ever made anything so beautiful for her before.
My grandson is 5 and has 3 quilts. (Only one grandchild so far.) He loves and uses them all. Whenever he sees a new quilt in progress in my sewing room he asks if it is for him. He wants another one.

vmelhorn 12-26-2010 06:51 PM

I also have received mixed reactions. But I will always keep in my heart my 8 yr old grandsons reaction. He was amazed. He sleeps with his quilt, under his covers, mind you, every night. He tells me he can not go to sleep without his quilt. I beleive " Whats made by the hands,comes from the Heart". Someday, your gifts will be appriciated. Give it time.

bakermom 12-26-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by bj
I have a question that sort of goes with this thread...I've started a quilt for my newest niece. When I saw my brother and his wife at my dad's, I mentioned that I was making a quilt for their newest granddaughter. My sil said she didn't need one, that she had already made her one. So do I finish it and send it anyway or finish it and put with my QFK quilts? I thought about sending my niece a picture of it and asking her if she wants it.

It's not really their place to say (in my book anyways). I would send it off to the child's parents with a little note saying you made a special gift for their special baby.

daria 12-26-2010 07:31 PM

I started quilting two years ago and to date I have not kept a quilt I have made yet! I have been fortunate to have given the 10 I have made and had all happy and excited responses. I of course, have not made them for family members that don't thank me or acknowledge gifts given in the past. I have enjoyed making all of the quilts and have stack of future quilts I want to make and one of these days I will have a stack that is all my own and not for anyone else. I have loved making them!

Katts 14 12-26-2010 07:38 PM

I know the feeling they all act different the first time I kinda got upset. but I bet thier butts are under them when it's cold!

chris_quilts 12-26-2010 07:51 PM

My mom doesn't want want me to make a quilt for her. I would love to but also want to honor her wishes. I am making her wallhanging though. That's a start. She lives in a cold part of the country which is why I can't understand her reaction. She may get one anyway!!! I may be underwhelmed by her reaction, however, but I am prepared for that.

Roxanne 12-26-2010 08:10 PM

I am so sad to hear that some of your gifts were not fully appreciated if for nothing else, the sheer amount of work that you lovingly put into each one.

I am so blessed with a family that has waited patiently each year for their turn. This year was the last (youngest) nephews. Since they were for boys, I really did not expect the joy that was expressed! My 21 year old nephew who is the shyest thing I've ever been around had the biggest grin on his face as he explained to everyone what all the cars were on his quilt. My 18 year old nephew kept his in his lap and every time I looked at him, he was examining some part of it that he just discovered. He kept commenting that he remembered this or that about his. His mother cried all evening. But the best reaction of all was the 5 year old who wanted them all! His had a combination of cars and Thomas the engine and his eyes were like saucers as he rubbed his hands over it and then laid on the floor under it.

Lastly my niece was given her completed top only (Hawaiian Star) and she, her mother and my middle sister all cried. I hated that I couldn't finish it and that I had to take it back. But she said she was so excited now that she had seen it that it was ok to wait for her anniversary.

I say it every year, but this was the BEST Christmas ever!

sewalaskan 12-26-2010 08:43 PM

30 some years ago I made baby quilts for many of my nieces & nephews. Several of the kids still have their quilts and love them very much. I have had to repair them several times. One of my nieces was afraid to show me her quilt because it was so well-worn. When she finally gave it to me to repair, it was so thread bare it looked like just warps on a loom. The original quilts were tied & appliqued with bunny appliques hence they are now called 'bunny quilts'. They request those quilts for all of their children and even their husbands. I have made pieced quilts but quit giving them to the kids because they didn't use them - they 'saved' them for good. The bunny quilts are well used every day.