Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Really Ugly Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/really-ugly-quilt-t188080.html)

Pickles 05-04-2012 08:22 PM

I love your quilt Top I think it is adorable and once it has been quilted it well look even better then it is now I bet.
Nice work :thumbup:

Tartan 05-04-2012 08:42 PM

Your quilt is lovely! Maybe it isn't quite what you were going for but I really like it. I would bind it with a brighter pink and put it aside for when I needed a special gift for someone.

Jan in VA 05-04-2012 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this still 'just a top'?
If so: There are things you can
easily do with this, but it WILL require some work.
Keep telling yourself it will be worth it in the end.

1. First, take the quilt apart into blocks.
2. On the 3-strip block add a narrow border strip at the sides of the block like the graphic below. Use a much darker color that will accent your medium value fabrics, perhaps a deep/dark rose.
3. On the plain green floral blocks, add a deep/dark strip of perhaps the dark green in the leaves on 2 opposite sides of that block.
4. Reassemble the quilt as you pieced it before.
5. If you have any of the green floral fabric left, make a narrow border all around the top, about 2/3 the width of the cut strips in your blocks.
6. Add a dark green then a dark rose border.
7. Bind with the pale pink floral fabric which will be pretty against the dark rose border.

I’m betting you’ll love it after this effort because all you really need in it is contrast!

Jan in VA

Pennydrop321 05-05-2012 02:18 AM

I don't think its ugly at all, I love shabby chic decorating style so I really like the fabric.

chickadeee55 05-05-2012 02:31 AM

I do not think it is ugly, if just isn't finished yet. I would use some of that dark solid pink color in the flowers for a inner border and try to pick up some green for another border. I think it would make a great Shabby Chic Pinic Quilt or Tablecloth Quilt for outside. Keep going, remember you are in charge of the quilt.

Chasing Hawk 05-05-2012 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5194317)
Need pic, I love to see what people find ugly because most of the time it isn't which is funny

I agree, I like it.

qwkslver 05-05-2012 04:12 AM

learning

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl (Post 5194246)
Ok, here's a photo of the ugly quilt.

I have been doing this for years and I'm still learning. I don't think it is ugly. I think I would put a border of maybe 3 stripes different colors or 2 colors. You neglected to contrast it enough. I do that often. I think we forget to pick one busy print and maybe a solid to bring it out. I would finish it and use it if it was mine. If you really hate it, like they said, give it to someone where you won't see it again. To someone who don't have much that would be a real treasure. I try to surround myself with stuff I LOVE, not tolerate. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, that's what I try to do. I have even used some of the same fabrics with a redo to make it come out more like I wanted. It's all good. You do good work.

cdmmiracles 05-05-2012 04:18 AM

Ok! I was looking for something hideous!! I actually like it.....I agree with the comment from vicki w, add a couple of solid borders. You'll have to post after it's completely quilted............oh and by the way, you can just send it to me, I'll take it, lol, if you don't like it :)

jcrow 05-05-2012 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts (Post 5194511)
That's a good idea. Tho I think a solid red/rose/pink (whatever that darlest color is) inner border with a floral outer border would be good, too.

Personally, I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it has a rather shabby chic vibe to it & I like it.

I also think it has a shaby chic vibe to it and think it's pretty. I think adding the dark red of the rose as a sashing would help. I was expecting something really ugly and was shocked to see your pretty quilt.

carolv 05-05-2012 04:28 AM

I like it!