Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Reasons to quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/reasons-quilt-t123020.html)

lillybeck 05-14-2011 11:57 AM

I do it mainly for fun and gifts

DebbyT 05-14-2011 12:10 PM

Sewing is my passion. But when I sew I want it to be for something practical and usefull. Everything I see posted here seems to have a purpose. I just don't have the time to do all I want to do. I do have a long 'to do list'.

merry 05-14-2011 12:23 PM

Fun & gifts (still fun)

peggymunday 05-14-2011 12:52 PM

I try to quilt for profit. I ran a window treatment business for 10 years and now I've added quilting services. No long arm yet, so some things are limited. I must admit, I'll never get rich. I don't charge near what I should. I know that I wouldn't have as many commissions and I'd rather sell two than none. My quality doesn't suffer, I'm just as particular as if I were charging twice as much. They're just lucky to have found me. And I know if my heart is in the right place, it'll all come back to me anyways. So they get a good deal and I keep pocket change.

TonnieLoree 05-14-2011 12:57 PM

The fun, the challenge, gifts,(rarely for pay-most can't afford me), utilitarian, decoration and the Wow! factor.

shawnemily 05-14-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Fun & gifts (still fun)

DITTO!

Wonnie 05-14-2011 01:55 PM

Well, that's what I thought...most of us do it for fun and gifts...me, too!! I love the creative process and the challenge of each new pattern. I'm sure I could figure out my own patterns but others have put a lot of time and money into developing a pattern and, if I love it, I don't mind buying it so they can make a buck or two while I get to start right in since I don't have to deal with the mathematics of the quilt plus the mathematics of the fabric.

Wonnie 05-14-2011 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
I try to quilt for profit. I ran a window treatment business for 10 years and now I've added quilting services. No long arm yet, so some things are limited. I must admit, I'll never get rich. I don't charge near what I should. I know that I wouldn't have as many commissions and I'd rather sell two than none. My quality doesn't suffer, I'm just as particular as if I were charging twice as much. They're just lucky to have found me. And I know if my heart is in the right place, it'll all come back to me anyways. So they get a good deal and I keep pocket change.

Good luck. If you've run a business for 10 years then I'm sure you'll be a success at this as well :thumbup:

LivelyLady 05-14-2011 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by carolaug
For Fun...Hobby only. I make for family and extended family members and of course for Myself. Donate once I am done with it and get better and better. I donate to the centers for Animals.

Same here. If I had to make them for sale it would become a chore instead of an enjoyable hobby. I donate to Vets and Linus.

happymrs 05-14-2011 02:17 PM

I quilt for me, lol. It's my sanity & the only thing that really seems to take me away! Tried lots of other hobbies, but this really does it, like nothing else ever has. I love gifting my quilts, when the occasion arise & I know it will be loved & appreciated, & used! I mostly just make them up as I want, with no idea where they may ever end up. Keeps me happy & content, so that's enough for me. I have been told, oh, you should put your quilts in shows, but that's not my thing, so never have & most likely, never will....