Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycled Denim Fabrics for Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycled-denim-fabrics-quilts-t125841.html)

Sewfine 05-27-2011 07:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kingspb
Does anyone here use recycled denim for making quilts? I love to pick up lightweight denim at my resale shop to use in quilts. I stick with the lightweight things like jumpers, skirts, shirts. I've made 5.5 inch blocks to alternate with another fabric. Will have to post some pictures of those projects soon!

I used old denim jeans to make my daughter a purse. Broke many, many needles.

Front side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203269[/ATTACH]

back side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203270[/ATTACH]

Sewfine 05-27-2011 07:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kingspb
Does anyone here use recycled denim for making quilts? I love to pick up lightweight denim at my resale shop to use in quilts. I stick with the lightweight things like jumpers, skirts, shirts. I've made 5.5 inch blocks to alternate with another fabric. Will have to post some pictures of those projects soon!

I used old denim jeans to make my daughter a purse. Broke many, many needles.

Front side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203271[/ATTACH]

back side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203272[/ATTACH]

stitchy65 05-27-2011 09:19 PM

I have a patient that lost over 150 pounds and he was nice enough to bring me the jeans he didn't wear anymore because of his weight loss. I'm saving them for other projects I have in mind.

DebbyT 05-28-2011 05:06 AM

I keep all the old jeans for patching and maybe a quilt someday. My husband told me the other day that he tossed a pair of jeans and I told him I saved 'all' jeans for sewing, which ones did he toss? He said it was a black pair and I wasn't too upset because I did not imagine black in any project. I will need to start making blocks soon, for they are starting to take up too much space.

okiepastor 05-28-2011 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by MM
I cut 6 or 7" squares (can't remember which) from old jeans-have them all sewn together and just need to decide what to do for backing.

My original intention was to use this quilt as a picnic-type blanket, so I thought I'd sew together huge pieces of denim for the backing. Some people have said that the two layers of denim will be very, very heavy and to use fleece or flannel or even "regular" cotton fabric instead.

My hesitation-and question-is about using fleece or flannel on grass or sand. Does the grass or sand brush off easily?

Fleece is a nightmare!

MM 05-28-2011 05:44 AM

My hesitation-and question-is about using fleece or flannel on grass or sand. Does the grass or sand brush off easily?[/quote]

Fleece is a nightmare![/quote]

Okay-definitely no fleece!

JackieG 05-28-2011 08:22 AM

Please do. I've got quite a stash of teen daughter's lightweight jeans, but I love embroidered denim.

PghPat 05-28-2011 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Look under Trash to Treasures for some of my Recycled Denim projects. I've also made several denim quilts. I made a red, black and white log cabin that has so far been my favorite use of denim.

I would LOVE to see a pic of that quilt if you have one. Log cabin is my favorite block - I love the red, black and white together and love recycled denim items.

Pat

amymarieski 05-28-2011 05:31 PM

I made a rag shower curtain for my sister. She LOVED it! Use mainly squares, but also added in some pockets and the labels that are on the waistband, including one that said "1969" which is the year she was born. Made the top of the curtain tabs tops, and ragged them as well.

Just my 2 cents! Denim is the greatest!

judy_68 05-28-2011 06:01 PM

Love the denim quilts.