Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycled Denim Fabrics for Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycled-denim-fabrics-quilts-t125841.html)

AlienQuilter 05-29-2011 02:21 PM

I have a lot of denim jeans saved for projects. I've already made the kids each a quilt. Boy are they heavy - but very durable/tough!

I've bookmarked this page for inspiration!

Thanks for all the ideas! Everybodys projects are wonderful.

Olivia's Grammy 05-29-2011 02:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by PghPat

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
Look under Trash to Treasures for some of my Recycled Denim projects. I've also made several denim quilts. I made a red, black and white log cabin that has so far been my favorite use of denim.

I would LOVE to see a pic of that quilt if you have one. Log cabin is my favorite block - I love the red, black and white together and love recycled denim items.

Pat

Pat, here is the pic of my denim log cabin. It is just one of many denim quilts I've made.

PghPat 05-29-2011 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by PghPat

Look under Trash to Treasures for some of my Recycled Denim projects. I've also made several denim quilts. I made a red, black and white log cabin that has so far been my favorite use of denim.

I would LOVE to see a pic of that quilt if you have one. Log cabin is my favorite block - I love the red, black and white together and love recycled denim items.

Pat

Grammy - thank you so very much for posting that picture. I LOVE it. Like I said I really like the red, black and white and would never have thought of it using the denim.

This board is awesome.

Pat

Pat, here is the pic of my denim log cabin. It is just one of many denim quilts I've made.

luvTooQuilt 05-29-2011 05:31 PM

ok I have a quesiton.. How easy/hard is it to sew denim??

What do you differently than sewing quilting cotton??

Olivia's Grammy 05-29-2011 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
ok I have a quesiton.. How easy/hard is it to sew denim??

What do you differently than sewing quilting cotton??

The only thing I do differently with denim is take a slightly bigger seam. I usually sew with a 3/8" SA. If I remember I might use a size 16 needle. In my opinon sewing denim is easier in a way bc the denim is soft and usually has a slight give to it so it can me forgiving in the sewing. We are talking about old worn blue jeans, right?

Slow2Sew 05-30-2011 03:41 PM

I found a denim Q size bedskirt at a thrift shop. I cut it and did a QAYG for four out of five strips on the back with Warm & Natural batting. I also did a QAYG for the front in a Warm Wishes pattern. Everyone loves that quilt!

GRANNYMO 06-03-2011 09:24 AM

I have made several rag quilts from denim and flannel. They wear great for kids and are very warm.

kingspb 06-20-2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for sharing all your denim ideas! I've only used the lightweight denim so far and used batting in the center. Might have to make one out of regular heavyweight jeans someday!

seaside quilter 10-07-2012 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO (Post 3396247)
I have made several rag quilts from denim and flannel. They wear great for kids and are very warm.

The denim rag quilts sound great. Just wondering, what type of scissors do you all use to make it "raggy?"

Ladibug 10-12-2012 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Maggiemay (Post 3338785)
When my Dad died I made rag quilts out of his jeans for my sisters, brother & myself. I used flannel & homespun too. This is mine

That is another one in my avatar that my cat is testing out!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]202705[/ATTACH]

Does this quilt have a backing to it? It is beautiful.