Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycling Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycling-fabric-t131595.html)

Favorite Fabrics 06-19-2011 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
I have used scrubs purchased in a thrift store for projects. Cutting the fabric into charm packs would be a lot of work and you would have to sell them for less than "new" packs. (little profit)

I would agree with this. Many years ago, I tried making charm packs (from new fabrics) and selling them on eBay. They did all sell, but I decided that it was really not worth the time spent.

Had I not spent the time washing the fabrics first, and then having to iron them, well then it might have been worth it, at the time. Now with eBay's fees so high, I can't see that there's much point to selling low-priced items.

I know that charm packs made by the fabric manufacturers are not pre-washed/pre-shrunk... but on eBay, is it the same case? Or do the charm packs made by individuals consist of pre-shrunk fabrics?

quiltinghere 06-19-2011 09:38 AM

One time I hit a resale shop that was having a $5 bag sale on clothing...:) :) :)

It was amazing how tiny I could roll XXL men's shirts!

pocoellie 06-19-2011 10:03 AM

I buy clothes all the time and cut them apart for quilts.

RUSewing 06-19-2011 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I buy clothes all the time and cut them apart for quilts.

I haven't yet, been shopping in my stash, but will soon.

I think making/using/buying precut, recycled squares is a good idea. After reading the Classified rules, maybe you could make up some and try it here. Dunno

LivelyLady 06-19-2011 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I use recycled fabric, but I would buy it myself from the thrift store and cut it myself. I would not by precut used fabric. My experience with charm packs is that half of them I will never use so I don't buy them.

Same here and I agree with you. I've only bought one charm pack and used only about a third of the pack.

M.I.Late 06-19-2011 12:23 PM

I don't think many people would buy charm packs of used/recycled fabrics. Remember that often times charm packs are made to introduce an entire collection of coordinating fabrics.

Now if you cut that stuff up and made rag quilts - you might be able to sell those as finished quilts made with previously loved fabrics - and of course they would be great for charity quilts.

bamamama 06-19-2011 12:27 PM

Yes, I've been collecting mens shirts for a quilt for my Dad. You can't find a good variety of masculine plaids and stripes in the fabric stores lately.

scraphq 06-19-2011 12:47 PM

You might be able to sell charm packs at a local craft show where the customer could examine the pack. I would never buy them sight unseen. There might be a huge difference in our opinions of "slightly used".

Agatha 06-20-2011 03:55 AM

I agree with the others. I wouldn't buy charm packs made from used clothing. You don't really know just from pictures what the quality of the fabric is.

By the way, good Pictures of the scrubs. The fabrics are very unique.

BettyGee 06-20-2011 04:11 AM

I buy recycled fabric from Goodwill all the time. Wash it and never have had a problem.