Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycling Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycling-fabric-t131595.html)

bebe 06-19-2011 06:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have been having fun going to Thrift Stores and have noticed there is a great abundance of scrubs and men's Haiwiaan shirts.
They are made out of cute fabric and good quality cotton.
I am considering making charm pack and selling them.
What do you quilters think about this new adventure??
Would you buy recycled fabric if it were in good condition???

Barb44 06-19-2011 06:36 AM

I use recycled fabric, but I would buy it myself from the thrift store and cut it myself. I would not by precut used fabric. My experience with charm packs is that half of them I will never use so I don't buy them.

QuiltE 06-19-2011 06:38 AM

You have some great fabrics there! I'd just put them to use and enjoy them myself!! :)

Joan 06-19-2011 06:43 AM

I have used scrubs purchased in a thrift store for projects. Cutting the fabric into charm packs would be a lot of work and you would have to sell them for less than "new" packs. (little profit) I don't think most people would "buy" used fabric even though they may buy used fabric that they can see.

SparkMonkey 06-19-2011 06:47 AM

Heck yes I would use recycled fabric, though like others, I wouldn't buy it sight unseen. I want to get my hands on it and get a good look at it.

I plan on making a quilt of all recycled fabrics soon. My BF has only requested that I not use old bedsheets. I know of a lot of crafters who use old sheets for various projects, but he's kind of grossed out by the idea of sleeping under a stranger's old linens. :roll:

quiltinghere 06-19-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Barb44
I use recycled fabric, but I would buy it myself from the thrift store and cut it myself. I would not by precut used fabric. My experience with charm packs is that half of them I will never use so I don't buy them.

Same here - sorry - besides I have barrels full of 100% shirts just waiting for cutting up and use.

I buy my own making very certain that it's LIKE NEW fabric - no fading whatsoever.

bebe 06-19-2011 07:11 AM

just a thought !!!!!!

and trying to help stay green :-D :-D :-D :-D

QuiltE 06-19-2011 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by bebe
just a thought !!!!!!

and trying to help stay green :-D :-D :-D :-D

Just another thought .... if you were wanting to re-sell, others might be more interested IRL, than online as then they can touchy-feel it and know what they are getting.

Plus, you might be better to leave the fabric in as large of pieces as possible, so the end user is not limited to charm pieces! Cut off the excess around seams, buttons, collars, hems, etc. and where there may be wear (eg. underarms? crotch?) then square up to whatever shapes are left along with some spray starch/sizing.

With all that work, could you sell it for a profit?

bebe 06-19-2011 07:42 AM

I paid very little for the scrubs almost given

mshollysd 06-19-2011 07:48 AM

I used to make scrubs, especially plus size scrubs. there is over 2.5 yards in each one, and most of the time I prewashed the fabric first, becuase plus size girls don't like shrinkage. LOL. That is a super idea of buying to use for my quilts that I donate too. Thank you for the idea./