Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Recycling Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycling-fabric-t131595.html)

bearisgray 06-20-2011 10:22 AM

You are showing some really cute fabrics in those pictures!

cheryl rearick 06-20-2011 11:31 AM

I use re-cycled fabrics for myself, But do not think I would give as a gift to another unless it was a family member :) I like your materials

emmah 06-20-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by bebe
I have been having fun going to Thrift Stores and have noticed there is a great abundance of scrubs and men's Haiwiaan shirts.
They are made out of cute fabric and good quality cotton.
I am considering making charm pack and selling them.
What do you quilters think about this new adventure??
Would you buy recycled fabric if it were in good condition???

Yes, I recently found some men's 100% cotton vintage car shirts and have deconstructed them and added some Rt 66 fabric and some coordinating colors for a quilt. It is fun!

gramarraine 06-20-2011 01:07 PM

I agree with most of the above comments. I would not buy charm packs out of used clothing. It really would be time consuming to go to the work of cutting them apart and squaring up and reselling. Not much profit that I can see.

martyquilter 06-20-2011 01:24 PM

Hahaha.. just what I have been doing.. in fact I think I have the same whale fabric!!!... I have been getting a certain color of Hawiaan shirts to make my husband a quilt but so far do not have enough yet... but scrubs.. they are great.. have five to cut up right now... I don't think I would buy a charm pack, but that is just me, so all you can do is try it out & see what happens........

cctx. 06-21-2011 04:46 PM

I have been having fun going to Thrift Stores and have noticed there is a great abundance of scrubs and men's Haiwiaan shirts.
They are made out of cute fabric and good quality cotton.
I am considering making charm pack and selling them.
What do you quilters think about this new adventure??
Would you buy recycled fabric if it were in good condition???

It's a good idea that you came up with on the charms and no worries on the fabric raveling because the fabrics has been washed already.
And depends on the size of charms you will be cutting.
I like the bigger size cut (6.5") because it's easier and quicker for me to use a size 6.5").
The popular size is 5", but I like 6.5".

Give it a go and take it from there.

Ann L 06-21-2011 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
I use re-cycled fabrics for myself, But do not think I would give as a gift to another unless it was a family member :) I like your materials

I made a baby quilt out of receiving blankets and they appreciated the fact that I used recycled blankets.

bebe 06-21-2011 05:15 PM

times are hard $$ is scarce time to go green and recycle
I would not buy faded scrubs I believe I have good taste
I mostly use quilt shop fabric for my projects but I hate to see all this pretty fabric go to waste
That is why I thought I would do this and use for charity quilts :-D :-D :-D :-D

quiltinghere 06-21-2011 05:42 PM

but I hate to see all this pretty fabric go to waste
That is why I thought I would do this and use for charity quilts :-D :-D :-D :-D

That would be a perfect way to use the wonderful fabrics you can buy in the thrift stores. I'm sure you buy them looking like new (and probably sometimes with the tags still on them) After all - how many 'youngones' want to iron 100% cotton shirts to wear - I know I don't! :shock:

Go for it!

Pieceful Quilter 06-21-2011 09:01 PM

Sorry, but I probably would not purchase used fabric without being able to check it out in person first.