Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red thread on white fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-thread-white-fabric-t150274.html)

vivoaks 09-05-2011 03:47 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say that your quilt is gorgeous.

JenelTX 09-05-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by vivoaks
I don't know the answer to your question, but just wanted to say that your quilt is gorgeous.

Thank you! The pattern is available for free on the Fun Stuff page at www.foolsgoldca.com. I used very different colors than suggested in the pattern, though, because I'm a rebel. :)

I started hand-quilting last night. Wow, that's not easy! My stitches look like they were done by a fourth grader. I know I'll get better with practice, but wow. You know, I had been planning to stitch white fabric on the colored triangles, and that's what I started last night. But maybe I should do white fabric on the white triangles, since it won't show. And then I can finish all the triangles before starting on the hearts, getting lots of practice in.

Hmmm... but if my white on white won't show, how will I know if I'm getting better?

Bonbonary 09-05-2011 05:22 AM

Humbird's suggestion sounds like a good idea. Hope it all works out for you as that is a very pretty quilt. Good job!

moreland 09-05-2011 05:30 AM

"Just don't look too closely! LOL When I look at it, I can't help but notice all the mistakes, all the lines that don't quite match up, etc."

It is really quite amazing how all the small imperfections seem to vanish after the quilt sits for awhile. When we forget exactly where they are, they really seem to disappear!

jdk151 09-05-2011 05:39 AM

When I made my 1st quilt it was a Christmas quilt so it had lots of red fabrics. Not knowing anything about prewashing or anything about quilting I did not prewash...when I did wash it my whites were pink!! I was sick, I didn't even use it for Christmas. When I washed it again it was beautiful!! Whites were as white as could be...I was sooo excited!!!

JenelTX 09-05-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by jdk151
When I made my 1st quilt it was a Christmas quilt so it had lots of red fabrics. Not knowing anything about prewashing or anything about quilting I did not prewash...when I did wash it my whites were pink!! I was sick, I didn't even use it for Christmas. When I washed it again it was beautiful!! Whites were as white as could be...I was sooo excited!!!

Oh wow, that must have been such a wonderful surprise! A Christmas miracle! LOL

JenelTX 09-05-2011 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
Humbird's suggestion sounds like a good idea. Hope it all works out for you as that is a very pretty quilt. Good job!

Thank you, Bonnie. I love the quilt in your profile picture. Gorgeous!

JenelTX 09-05-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by moreland
"Just don't look too closely! LOL When I look at it, I can't help but notice all the mistakes, all the lines that don't quite match up, etc."

It is really quite amazing how all the small imperfections seem to vanish after the quilt sits for awhile. When we forget exactly where they are, they really seem to disappear!

I just noticed that you're from Manhattan, Kansas. My husband is from Iola, Kansas.

grannypat7925 09-05-2011 06:08 AM

Beautiful quilt. Anxious to see the finished product!

Tweety2911 09-05-2011 06:21 AM

Why couldn't you just take some red thread and soak it in some hot water for a while to see if it bleeds to appease your worries. I haven't had any problem with quilting threads running either.