Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red thread on white fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-thread-white-fabric-t150274.html)

JenelTX 09-05-2011 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by grannypat7925
Beautiful quilt. Anxious to see the finished product!

Thank you! This group is so friendly and wonderful!

ktmo815 09-05-2011 08:14 AM

Beautiful quilt!!

nancy59 09-05-2011 08:44 AM

I stared at this quilt for quite a while, and I think it's a beautiful quilt. You should be very proud of it.

sailsablazin 09-05-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by jdk151
When I made my 1st quilt it was a Christmas quilt so it had lots of red fabrics. Not knowing anything about prewashing or anything about quilting I did not prewash...when I did wash it my whites were pink!! I was sick, I didn't even use it for Christmas. When I washed it again it was beautiful!! Whites were as white as could be...I was sooo excited!!!

I had a purchased a burgundy and green quilt hanging on my wall for years. I decided that it was time to wash it and did so..didn't know anything about color catchers, so it bled like crazy when washed. Having a huge wall that was empty, I replaced the quilt with another cheap store-bought one and just use the one that bled for a cuddle quilt. When I washed it a second time, all of the bleeding disappeared. I was thrilled, so can use it elsewhere but have already replaced it on the wall. People always ask if I made the wall quilt. Someday I will be able to answer, " YES, and it only took me ??? months."

dixiechunk 09-05-2011 09:22 AM

I once read of a quilter who would put a spool of thread in a
jar of hot water and let it sit for an hour or so. If the water became tinted with the thread color she would repeat. When the water was clear she dumped it out and let the spool of thread dry. Obviously, this process requires some time. I have never tried this but a couple of questions come to mind. One, if your're using quilting thread (ie waxed thread) will the water actually get through the wax to the dyed thread? Two, will the water penetrate all the way into the inner layers of thread or will you have to repeat as you use the thread up? Maybe I will experiment...

Wanabee Quiltin 09-05-2011 11:06 AM

Love your quilt.

JenelTX 09-05-2011 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
Love your quilt.

Thank you so much! All these positive comments are going to my head. ;)

wraez 09-05-2011 11:22 AM

Lovely quilt! I think you will be fine using red thread made for quilting

Rose Bagwell 09-05-2011 12:59 PM

Love your quilt, don't know about thread.

sailsablazin 09-05-2011 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dixiechunk
I once read of a quilter who would put a spool of thread in a
jar of hot water and let it sit for an hour or so. If the water became tinted with the thread color she would repeat. When the water was clear she dumped it out and let the spool of thread dry. Obviously, this process requires some time. I have never tried this but a couple of questions come to mind. One, if your're using quilting thread (ie waxed thread) will the water actually get through the wax to the dyed thread? Two, will the water penetrate all the way into the inner layers of thread or will you have to repeat as you use the thread up? Maybe I will experiment...

I would question that, if the thread was wound tightly, that it might mold on the spool before it ever thoroughly dried out.