Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Red thread on white fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/red-thread-white-fabric-t150274.html)

Taughtby Grandma 09-05-2011 06:06 PM

Very pretty quilt, I use quilting thread and have never had a problem with it bleeding. My fingers,yes, the thread, no. hehe

JenelTX 09-05-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Taughtby Grandma
Very pretty quilt, I use quilting thread and have never had a problem with it bleeding. My fingers,yes, the thread, no. hehe

LOL! Yeah, I keep pricking myself. Hand-quilting is HARD! I had no idea it would be so difficult to make even stitches.

Blue Bell 09-05-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX
Yes, it is quilting thread. Does that mean that it doesn't bleed? (...she asked hopefully)

Unfortunately, I had a quilt quilted by a professional and it did bleed. I wanted to dry the quilt on the deck and while I was positioning the quilt, I noticed the thread was bleeding. I washed it 4 times and used a whole box of color catchers. They did the trick in catching the dye.

JenelTX 09-05-2011 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Bell
Unfortunately, I had a quilt quilted by a professional and it did bleed. I wanted to dry the quilt on the deck and while I was positioning the quilt, I noticed the thread was bleeding. I washed it 4 times and used a whole box of color catchers. They did the trick in catching the dye.

Maybe the professional quilter didn't use quilting thread? That must've made you SICK! I'm so glad to hear that the color catchers did the trick for you. Ouch!

BarbsCA 09-05-2011 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by JenelTX
Thank you! I'm just anxious to get it done so I can start on the next one. I've decided that I'm not allowed to start a new project until I finish a project. Of course, it would help if I spent some time working on it in the evenings, instead of doing work-work.

What great books too, I just love Fools Gold! I think you're so lucky to be Susan Mallery's asst!

I'm very new at quilting so I'm only on my second quilt and it's gone slow too. You've done a great job on yours. Mine was a kit and I have about 6-8 more kits to do now too LOL You are very brave to hand quilt too.

pjnesler 09-05-2011 06:47 PM

I'm interested in the replies on this too - I'm always concerned about bleeding too, my thought is if it's not cotton it shouldn't bleed. Not sure though, would like to find out.

JenelTX 09-06-2011 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by BarbsCA
What great books too, I just love Fools Gold! I think you're so lucky to be Susan Mallery's asst!

I am soooooo lucky! Yesterday, I spent the day looking at pictures of gorgeous cowboys because Susan asked me to design a 2012 Fool's Gold calendar to give away to her readers. (Next year's Fool's Gold books feature three cowboy brothers.)

I'm not sure I'm brave to hand quilt. I'm probably just too ignorant to realize what I'm putting myself in for! LOL

My time 09-06-2011 05:54 AM

I think red thread would be great. Good job love your quilt.

misseva 09-06-2011 07:54 AM

I've used DMC turkey red (don't know color #) in a red work quilt on muslin and it didn't fade at all. In fact, I've never had any DMC embroidery floss fade.

JenelTX 09-06-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
I've used DMC turkey red (don't know color #) in a red work quilt on muslin and it didn't fade at all. In fact, I've never had any DMC embroidery floss fade.

Thanks! I wasn't worried about fading, but rather about bleeding. I don't want red streaks from the thread going across the white fabric.