Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retired Sewing Machines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retired-sewing-machines-t42280.html)

adrianlee 04-11-2010 10:55 AM

I had problems similar to yours with my Bernina when I got it 35+ years ago. It was a bobbin tension issue that the lady at the local fabric shop helped me with and saved me $$ from the repair guy. That old machine still works great and has sewn millions of miles. Please keep us informed on your machine. Plan on getting a backup machine, I think most on quilting board have backups.

Pati- in Phx 04-11-2010 12:52 PM

First, be very careful about buying a "name brand" machine on line. Make sure that the dealer is an "authorized dealer". If not, you have no warranty. It may cost a bit more, but it is really worth while to purchase a machine from a local dealer that includes classes in how to use the machine and local service under warranty. <G>

I don't sell machines now, have in the past. <G> But remember you are buying more than a piece of equipment. You are also buying the service and all that goes along with it. Make sure the service people, at least the ones you can have contact with are reasonable/you can get along with them. That is almost as important as the actual machine.

My current main machine is heading for its retirement. Parts are no longer being made, remaining ones are scarce. So I am also exploring machine options. <G>
Suggestions:
1. Make a list of what you really need to have on a machine (needle up/down, speed control, specific stitches, and so on.)
2. Include things you really don't want to have. (I am not interested in another embroidery machine. Don't use the one I have, don't want to spend the extra money. I also don't use the free arm so can easily do without it.)
2B: also list what you would like to have, but aren't "musts".
3. Figure out what you will be sewing on the machine. Take samples with you, scraps are fine. Include piecing/ sewing over multiple seams in the middle of a seam, a quilting sandwich or two. A sample of your favorite type of stabilizer(s) with fabric for decorative stitching. and so on. Be sure to sit down and try these out. (If a dealer won't let you use your own fabric for testing, I would find out why. And probably walk away if they wouldn't let me use my fabric pieces. )
4. Ask questions, about everything. Icons on the machine seem confusing? Ask. Can you easily adjust: needle position, pressure foot pressure, tension of top and bottom threads, change stitch selection. And ask about free motion work and walking foot if you use them. Check to see if the pressure feet are proprietary or can you use generic feet (or ones you already have.) What feet are available?(Especially ones that you use a lot.)

Don't be pressured into a decision. And ask about upgrading and return policies, as well as warranty stuff.

Lots to think about, but Take some time and check out as many machines as you can. There are lots of good brands out there, but there isn't a "one fits all". Your favorite may not be another's favorite. That is fine. Find the one that fits you best.

Pati, in Phx

Tallulah 04-11-2010 03:37 PM

I was having a fit with my FW bunching up the bobbin thread the other night. Finally, I decided to rethread it. Started working like a dream. I don't know why it took me so long to remember to try this, because it is a good go-to before pulling your hair out. May not always be the answer, but several times on various machines, it has corrected my problem.

BarbM32 04-11-2010 03:59 PM

When I am having machine problems the first thing I do is remove the spool of thread, remove bobbin, remove bobbin case holder and remove needle. Then I clean the machine, replace everything and put in new needle. This works for me. As a former dealer the main thing I found causing machine problems was dirt, dust, needing oil, needle in backwards, and threaded wrong. Believe it or not but long ago the sew machine repairmen made housecalls. One of the service calls was due to it not being plugged in to the outlet.

raptureready 04-11-2010 05:07 PM

I've always had good luck with Brothers machines. However, buying a sewing machine is just like buying a car---Don't get a Grand Am if you need and want a Mountaineer. Your machine should fit you and do what YOU want it to. If the price is right and this machine will do what you want, get it. If the price is REALLY good and it will do most of what you want, get it for a back up and also get you a machine that you want. I just bought an almost new Brother CE4000 off Craiglist. It's not what I want, I want a new Janomi but this one was $60 so. . . . . It does most of the things I want it to and it's very lightweight--easy to take to class.

zz-pd 04-11-2010 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
Would you buy one? or go for a new updated version?

My story: At this time I have no sewing machine because I broke mine. To fix it the labor costs are from $109 - $199 + parts and tax. We have been reading the manuals and trying to use the FW and 301 but for the life of me I can't keep the bottom stitches from bunching up. So I began this sewing machine research project. I've got Janome, Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff, Viking and Bernina's on the list. Went to all the dealers and a couple do layaway. Then I seached the internet, an example, I saw on ebay a Brother NX400, which is retired, but the listings say New In Box. Price is reasonable but not sure if I should go for it or just get a new updated version which is the Brother NX450Q. I haven't officially made up my mind as we need two sewing machines, but was curious if you would buy a retired product? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I was just given a brothers sewing machine, but it dose not have the cord, I called brothers to see how much these cost, they don,t make the sewing machine any more so they don,t have parts for it,. I think if you make a machine, you should still carry parts for it. this machine was built 4 years ago. so If they retired it they don.t make parts for it any more. Penny

smitty 04-11-2010 05:21 PM

the 301 is such a great machine ! I would bet money that the
same thing is wrong with each--when you cleaned machine and
took off throat plate, the metal "finger" was not lined up
right when you put the plate back on. there will be a picture
in your manual. and you are certainly not the first this
happened to !! elaine

CRicart 04-11-2010 05:25 PM

What brand is the broken machine? How old? Is it all metal? It is very hard to find a good reliable machine fpr the amount your repair will cost. ost new ones are all plastic, even the gears, and cannot be easily repaired (or at all, sometimes!!) Find a nice reliable repairman and ask him what he thinks of your machine. My guys love my old all-metal machines.

BayridgeQuilts 04-11-2010 05:38 PM

One of the many reasons I love my vintage machines is that they're all metal workhorses and affordable to repair.

BayridgeQuilts 04-11-2010 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tallulah
I was having a fit with my FW bunching up the bobbin thread the other night. Finally, I decided to rethread it. Started working like a dream. I don't know why it took me so long to remember to try this, because it is a good go-to before pulling your hair out. May not always be the answer, but several times on various machines, it has corrected my problem.

Great observation. Re-threading the top and placing the thread correctly between the tension discs usually solves the problem for me, too.