Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retired Sewing Machines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retired-sewing-machines-t42280.html)

zz-pd 04-12-2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready

Originally Posted by penny doty

Originally Posted by Crafty1
Would you buy one? or go for a new updated version?

My story: At this time I have no sewing machine because I broke mine. To fix it the labor costs are from $109 - $199 + parts and tax. We have been reading the manuals and trying to use the FW and 301 but for the life of me I can't keep the bottom stitches from bunching up. So I began this sewing machine research project. I've got Janome, Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff, Viking and Bernina's on the list. Went to all the dealers and a couple do layaway. Then I seached the internet, an example, I saw on ebay a Brother NX400, which is retired, but the listings say New In Box. Price is reasonable but not sure if I should go for it or just get a new updated version which is the Brother NX450Q. I haven't officially made up my mind as we need two sewing machines, but was curious if you would buy a retired product? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I was just given a brothers sewing machine, but it dose not have the cord, I called brothers to see how much these cost, they don,t make the sewing machine any more so they don,t have parts for it,. I think if you make a machine, you should still carry parts for it. this machine was built 4 years ago. so If they retired it they don.t make parts for it any more. Penny

Penny, do a search and type in Replacement parts for Brothers Sewing Machine model # _____ and you should find someone with parts. I was looking up parts for someone the other day and came across several business that dealt in older sewing machine replacement/repair parts.

thank you, I will try that. I am just trying to find out how much this part cost, and I would sure like to know if it works. Penny

BarbM32 04-12-2010 08:17 PM

It used to be that any sewing machine manufacturer had to have parts available for any new machine for so many, like 20 years. This was to insure the customer was not left holding the bag. Any 4 year old machine should have parts within the United States available to its dealer through the US sewing machine distributor. That is not obsolete. Now one thing many of you do not know is the machines sold in Walmarts are not the same quality as the machines sold by dealers. When I was in business, Walmarts could not buy any machine that was sold to sewing machine dealers nor could a sewing machine dealer buy machines sold in Walmart or other similar stores. I no longer know what is done.

zz-pd 04-13-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BarbM32
It used to be that any sewing machine manufacturer had to have parts available for any new machine for so many, like 20 years. This was to insure the customer was not left holding the bag. Any 4 year old machine should have parts within the United States available to its dealer through the US sewing machine distributor. That is not obsolete. Now one thing many of you do not know is the machines sold in Walmarts are not the same quality as the machines sold by dealers. When I was in business, Walmarts could not buy any machine that was sold to sewing machine dealers nor could a sewing machine dealer buy machines sold in Walmart or other similar stores. I no longer know what is done.

I called brothers and they said they don't make the machine any more and did not make the parts, they told me the year of the machine. I think they should, but the staff I talked to were not very knolegable about there sewing products. Penny

Katrina 04-16-2010 03:10 PM

I have bought from Ken's on several occasion's.........I found the White Style-Maker 3100's on Ken's e-bay site.
I calledthem, they had three (3) new in the boxes for a great price. I bought all three of them, one for myself and the other two for gifts. they are great and do "reverse image" also.
Ken's staff is great to deal with...........Katrina