Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Retired Sewing Machines... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/retired-sewing-machines-t42280.html)

Crafty1 04-09-2010 07:17 PM

Would you buy one? or go for a new updated version?

My story: At this time I have no sewing machine because I broke mine. To fix it the labor costs are from $109 - $199 + parts and tax. We have been reading the manuals and trying to use the FW and 301 but for the life of me I can't keep the bottom stitches from bunching up. So I began this sewing machine research project. I've got Janome, Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff, Viking and Bernina's on the list. Went to all the dealers and a couple do layaway. Then I seached the internet, an example, I saw on ebay a Brother NX400, which is retired, but the listings say New In Box. Price is reasonable but not sure if I should go for it or just get a new updated version which is the Brother NX450Q. I haven't officially made up my mind as we need two sewing machines, but was curious if you would buy a retired product? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Prism99 04-09-2010 09:16 PM

I'm not sure what retired means. Superseded by a newer version or model? If so, it doesn't matter. What matters is whether the machine has the features you are looking for and "feels good" to you when you sew.

I would not purchase a machine on eBay unless I had at least tried out the brand, and preferably that model or a close model, to make sure I like the stitch quality, the sound of the machine, etc.

For those with budget limitations, I think it's much better to go around to local dealers and see what they have in used machines. Often you can get a better quality machine with more features if you buy used instead of new.

It's also a good idea to check out reviews of the specific model you are looking at. http://www.patternreview.com is a good place to do that.

I have a FW and 301. I'm wondering if there is something you are doing wrong with both machines that produces the bunched up stitches on the bottom, as that is not typical of those machines. Are you sure, when you insert the bobbin in the bobbin case, that the thread is going in the correct direction? As I recall, the FW needle threads oddly (from left to right? it's been a long time since I had it out).

BellaBoo 04-09-2010 09:22 PM

The FW threads from left to right and if the bobbin housing case is not set inside the machine just right, thread will bunch up. It is an easy mistake to make with the old Singers. A picture of how it fits is in the manual. If you don't have FW bobbins or the right size bobbins for the 301, the thread will bunch up. Regular metal bobbins will not work.

JJs 04-09-2010 09:22 PM

the 301 is FANTASTIC for piecing....

Jois 04-09-2010 11:08 PM

Yep, check bobbins. I have to get two sizes now, one for the old singer and one for the new Janome.

Jois

sewgull 04-10-2010 05:05 AM

Check local store, you may find a deal on a machine that will hold you over until can test drive newer machines. New machine can be a large investment.

LindaR 04-10-2010 05:11 AM

theres a thread here about Ken's Sewing Center in AL, he sells on ebay and is very reliable. I would not hesitate to buy from him and its usually free shipping. Goggle him and check out the store first

ktbb 04-10-2010 06:52 AM

don't forget that "new in box" could mean that the parts are all there but not put together and in a new box...don't laugh, it happened to a friend of mine and she was unable to find the seller to get her money back...you're never 100 per cent sure of what you're getting when you purchase thru the internet so if you don't know the seller it's better to buy locally when it comes machines...

Terryl 04-10-2010 06:56 AM

I recently bought a refurbished brother machine on overstock.com It is light weight so I can take it to classes. Works beautifully, I bought a second machine just like it for my daughter to teach her to quilt.

Aurora 04-10-2010 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty1
Would you buy one? or go for a new updated version?

My story: At this time I have no sewing machine because I broke mine. To fix it the labor costs are from $109 - $199 + parts and tax. We have been reading the manuals and trying to use the FW and 301 but for the life of me I can't keep the bottom stitches from bunching up. So I began this sewing machine research project. I've got Janome, Baby Lock, Brother, Pfaff, Viking and Bernina's on the list. Went to all the dealers and a couple do layaway. Then I seached the internet, an example, I saw on ebay a Brother NX400, which is retired, but the listings say New In Box. Price is reasonable but not sure if I should go for it or just get a new updated version which is the Brother NX450Q. I haven't officially made up my mind as we need two sewing machines, but was curious if you would buy a retired product? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Have you checked to be sure the bobbin is in correctly or that the machine is correctly threaded. It could also be the tension.

I would not trade my 301 or FW for a new machine. I actually packed away a new machine and bought the 301a.