Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/revolving-rotary-cutting-mat-t41785.html)

Edie 04-07-2010 03:01 AM

I have a Lazy Susan in the basement. My Mom got me going on the lazy susan as opposed to the revolving rotary cutting thing! Same thing I think, does the same thing just a little different. I think my mother thinks she invented the idea of the lazy susan. I'm not going to tell her that there are other people out there that thought the same thing. Edie

Odella 04-07-2010 04:37 AM

The only suggestion I have is to make sure to check to see if the surface is stable when cutting, the experience I have had with some is that they rock when trying to cut. I mostly use my olfa cutting mat, it does not turn, but it's oh so easy and quick when cutting fabric.

pflum1 04-07-2010 04:55 AM

I have a 12 x 18 amazing turnables that I like. I think it's made by Elna, but not sure. It's large enough that you can fold your 44" wide fabric in 3rd and have plenty of room to cut it. It works great with a 12 inch ruler also. It comes with a nice mat and it's very sturdy. I saw one on ebay for about $60.
If a person can find an old TV turn table or lazy susan at a G. Sale, it would probably work.

cinnamon 04-07-2010 06:41 AM

I just love mine I have used it so much that it has large groves in it dh told me to go buy a new one but just going to replace the top.I have had mine for about 4 years.It is nice to sit at the coffee table watch tv and cut my pieces of fabric.

stitchhappy 04-07-2010 06:52 AM

I have the Olfa, 18x18 and I love it. Got it a Paducah last year. Will buy a bigger one this year. Sure beats turning the blocks by hand.

BellaBoo 04-07-2010 07:01 AM

I have the Olfa one. It's nice if I can remember to use it.

ktbb 04-07-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by JanetM
I have the Fiskars and hate it. The top part does not lay flat so it doesn't ride on the center circle on the bottom portion. (I'm not describing this well) It doesn't rotate, it just slides off.

any brand can have that problem...a friend and I each purchased the same brand at almost the same time (we were shopping unattended! who knew we could get into such trouble!) and one of ours works fine and one doesn't...so whatever you purchase, check it out at the store for smoothness to avoid the hassle of having to return it.

Also, these need a very flat surface on which to rest in order to move smoothly..the folding plastic table that I occasionally use as a cutting surface is not totally flat, and the rotating function id not efficient on the table..

adrianlee 04-07-2010 07:41 AM

I have the 12 inch Fiscars and it sits next to my sewing machine and works great when I'm working on smaller pieces, especially when getting the little 'dog ears' cut off.

Rose Marie 04-07-2010 07:43 AM

I have the 12 in Olfa and it is great.

craftiladi 04-07-2010 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
In my thrift store travels, I found a lazy susan from an old entertainment center, all of fifty cents. It is big enough to hold my 12x16 mat. I really think it makes squaring blocks up faster for me.

If you have an old piece of plywood around, a new quality lazy susan could be screwed to the bottom at a considerable savings over the fancy ones.

What a awesome idea, I will have to keep my eyes open. Thanks for the tip.