Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/revolving-rotary-cutting-mat-t41785.html)

fktsewing 04-07-2010 08:21 AM

It is great for trimming, but I could not justify the cost, so I used a 50% off coupon from JoAnns and bought the smaller one (not the really tiny ones) of Olfa and found a lazy susan for 90 cents at the thrift store--took the top off and cut a piece of plywood square and cut the matt and attached it to the top and the turner to the bottom. I just used lots of double stick taple. It works great for a fraction of the cost.

ktbb 04-07-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by cinnamon
I just love mine I have used it so much that it has large groves in it dh told me to go buy a new one but just going to replace the top.I have had mine for about 4 years.It is nice to sit at the coffee table watch tv and cut my pieces of fabric.

before you purchase a new top, see if you can reverse the one you have. The back side will not have the lines on it, but the surface should be usable for cutting...

P-BurgKay 04-07-2010 10:11 AM

I have 3, the 17, the 14, and the 8 inch, I believe it is, I love all of them, they each have there place. I purchased mine with coupons from JoAnns.

BizyStitches 04-07-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat? I would be interested in knowing if you like them; what size is best and any other opinions involving this item. They seem to be expensive but it looks like they would be very useful. I would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you. Dixie in AL

My niece bought one and she thought it was a waste of money. But I have not personally used one.

steelecg 04-07-2010 12:21 PM

I love mine and use it most of the time Olfa is expensive but worth the price

MamaNan 04-07-2010 12:55 PM

My husband made a 18" square one for me that works great. Base is a turntable like you use in dish cabinet topped with a thin sheet of fiberboard and then a cutting mat.

Hobbyhorse1027 04-07-2010 01:11 PM

Thank you for all for all of the feedback. I have also considered purchasing a revolving rotary cutting mat. So far increasing my stash always wins when deciding whether to buy one or not. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a lazy susan.

mrs. fitz 04-07-2010 01:47 PM

I have a 12" Olfa and love it. Someday I'd like to get the larger version. At one time I also did the lazy Susan trick. Had one that was past its prime and also had a cutting mat that had cracked. I cut the mat (square) and glued it to the lazy Susan. Worked fine. Good luck with whatever you decide, IMO you'll like using one.

MamaHen 04-07-2010 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Marjpf

Originally Posted by MamaHen
I have a 12 x 12 rotating cutting mat. I really like it for cutting and squaring up blocks smaller than 12". It sure is nice not having to pick up my block, turning it around and cutting the other two sides. Best buy I found was at Joann's with a 40-50% off coupon. Can never have too many cutting mats.

Which brand is it?

It's an OLFA!

schwanton 04-07-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat? I would be interested in knowing if you like them; what size is best and any other opinions involving this item. They seem to be expensive but it looks like they would be very useful. I would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you. Dixie in AL

I have the 14' Olfa revolving rotary cutting mat! It's wonderful - especially when squaring up blocks, you no longer have to pick up the block and turn it to cut each side. I found mine on sale at a Corning outlet (go figure)!