Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/revolving-rotary-cutting-mat-t41785.html)

joyceinoh 04-07-2010 06:42 PM

I am new here, I Am a grandma that quilts mostly for the grands, .
Right now I am hand quilting an OH State U quilt for my grandson.

I had never heard of a rotating cutting mat.
I will surely look into getting one. :thumbup:

I found out something new reading this thread, can't wait to read the rest. :-)

KenZ 04-07-2010 06:49 PM

My wife purchased a 10" turntable at a 99 cent store and uses a small 5X8 mat on it. It works great for small pcs.

Ken

Judy The Harley Girl 04-07-2010 07:05 PM

I made mine with a lazy susan and glued my cutting mat onto it,just make sure it's centered

FabricJunkie 04-07-2010 07:13 PM

I have the 14" Fiskars mat and I like it alot. It seems to make cutting smaller blocks or pieces go somewhat faster. It's a good investment if you can get it on sale.

Moonpi 04-07-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
As a sometimes wood worker, I would suggest that you use hardboard,
since sometimes raw plywood bleeds. Not all, but any thing that ruins the
look of your carefully sewn quilts, etc, will drive you to madness!!!

Or, carefully sand the plywood down, several times till it is smooth enough
so that even a piece of panty hose dragged over it will not catch.

I wouldn't paint or stain it, that might open another can of worms!!

Actually, the cutting mat covers any raw wood, and since I'm not cutting anything larger than the mat, it's not an issue. I live in a horribly humid climate, and much prefer plywood over sawdust and chipboard products.

Bev 04-07-2010 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat? I would be interested in knowing if you like them; what size is best and any other opinions involving this item. They seem to be expensive but it looks like they would be very useful. I would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you. Dixie in AL

I have a 12" Olfa that I asked for and got for Christmas the first year they came out. It probably was kind of pricey, but it was a gift from DH. I love it and have wondered how something so simple could have taken "them" so long to invent. I realize now that any person with a little knowledge of simple tools could easily make one. Of course that would not be me. Once at an NQA show in Columbus I saw a man demonstrating his, slightly different, one. It was wonderful, but extremely expensive. Anyhow, I'm glad I have mine, I use it quite often, and keep it right beside my machine along with my small rotary cutter. It's a great combo of tools for a "little quilt" maker. It's also good to use when squaring up your smaller than huge blocks. I vote that you get one. You'll find it to be very handy, in my opinion.

Pat G 04-07-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by The Babe
Do any of you use a revolving rotary cutting mat? I would be interested in knowing if you like them; what size is best and any other opinions involving this item. They seem to be expensive but it looks like they would be very useful. I would appreciate any and all comments. Thank you. Dixie in AL

I came up with an idea but mine is for ironing. You could also cut up a sm. cutting mat to use as well. I went to Home Depot & got an 18 inch circle of wood (already cut & ready for you). I also found a metal lazy susan there. We screwed the susan to the bottom of the wood. Then I covered it with Insulbrite & fabric. You could adapt it to a cutting board by cutting a cutting mat the size of the circle then glue it down. Very handy item.

Pat

Pat G 04-07-2010 07:42 PM

I forgot one step on my rotating board. We found we needed to add a 1/4" pc. of wood or something firm to bring your board up off the table a bit making it easier to rotate. I use mine a lot for fusible applique work.

Pat

AnnaK 04-07-2010 08:28 PM

I love mine and got it on sale a few years ago. I have it right by my machine to trim and square up smaller blocks.

zz-pd 04-07-2010 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
In my thrift store travels, I found a lazy susan from an old entertainment center, all of fifty cents. It is big enough to hold my 12x16 mat. I really think it makes squaring blocks up faster for me.

If you have an old piece of plywood around, a new quality lazy susan could be screwed to the bottom at a considerable savings over the fancy ones.

Hay that is a really good idea, sense I can never find cheap fabric at good will maybe I can find one of those, my mat has got to be about 21 years old, still works good. Penny