Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Revolving Rotary Cutting Mat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/revolving-rotary-cutting-mat-t41785.html)

galvestonangel 04-07-2010 03:49 PM

This may seem to be a dumb question to all of you who love your rotary mats, but isn't it just as easy to turn a small mat and save the money to spend on more fabric? I am really open minded but that is why I haven't bought one. Do they really make it that much easier?

schwanton 04-07-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by galvestonangel
This may seem to be a dumb question to all of you who love your rotary mats, but isn't it just as easy to turn a small mat and save the money to spend on more fabric? I am really open minded but that is why I haven't bought one. Do they really make it that much easier?

Having arthritis - it is much easier on me to have a revolving mat. The cost was terrific - it was on sale plus 60% off - cheaper than a square mat. There are times the fabric shifts and the fabric is no longer flat when you pick it up to turn for squaring, so you are more apt to have errors. A small mat to turn would work if you have one but except for my revolving mat, all of my mats are rectangular and large.

summerstorm 04-07-2010 04:48 PM

I bought the 17" one and on my cluttered cutting table it is too large to rotate. If I had to do it over I would purchase a smaller on.

Sharon

Sheree from Chicago 04-07-2010 05:21 PM

I have one and it's not all that it is cracked up to be! Just my opinion.

cheryl222 04-07-2010 05:32 PM

I have the Olfa and do not like it. It doesn't seem to turn very easily.

Ramona Byrd 04-07-2010 05:37 PM

If you have an old piece of plywood around, a new quality lazy susan could be screwed to the bottom at a considerable savings over the fancy ones.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
As a sometimes wood worker, I would suggest that you use hardboard,
since sometimes raw plywood bleeds. Not all, but any thing that ruins the
look of your carefully sewn quilts, etc, will drive you to madness!!!

Or, carefully sand the plywood down, several times till it is smooth enough
so that even a piece of panty hose dragged over it will not catch.

I wouldn't paint or stain it, that might open another can of worms!!

mom-6 04-07-2010 05:43 PM

Thanks Ramona for the voice of experience on the wood working! I've been thinking as I read that I want my son to make one for me....will be sure to have him read your posting.

gmafrog 04-07-2010 06:02 PM

Call the Fiskar's company and explain the problem. They are really good about standing behind their products.

craftybear 04-07-2010 06:05 PM

call the company as they might of had a defective batch

brushandthimble 04-07-2010 06:35 PM

I have the Brookly revolver, I have loved using it. This was before it had the pressing mat on the reverse side. Can't afford a new one, and the top is so old it is not any good any more.:(