Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rotary Cutter Injury Protection (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rotary-cutter-injury-protection-t182544.html)

grann of 6 03-13-2012 04:08 AM

I have done it too. Moral: BE MORE CAREFUL!!!! Caution doesn't cost a thing. Gloves do. There are rulers that have a ridge along the edge to protect your fingers. I just keep mine back from the edge. It took me 6 months to get the feeling back in the tip of my finger.

junegerbracht 03-13-2012 04:16 AM

I cut off a chunck of my index finger last year while using a rotary cutter and shape cutter. Wouldn't stop bleeding and had to go to the doctor. I purchased a Fons and Porter glove and try to be good about using it. Finger tip is still sensitive. Hope I have learned my lesson.

Calran 03-13-2012 04:36 AM

Fons and Porter has them, bought mine on ebay for less, and they do work.

callen 03-13-2012 04:45 AM

Rotary cutter injury

I too, have seen protective gloves & thought I didn't need any but since I am accident prone, now, I am thinking I had better get some. Better safe than sorry. Tks for the reminder. So sorry you got hurt.

Vistacruise 03-13-2012 04:49 AM

To answer some of the questions...
I am ambidextrous, so I really don't have a dominant hand. I can cut with a cutter set up either way.
I cut into the index finger of my left hand last year and still don't have feeling in the edge that was cut. This morning, I noticed that the right hand index finger (cut Sunday) is actually looking really good with tons of new skin growing. Guess the doctor was right: cutting it completely off is better LOL

Thanks for all of the input. I will check out all of the ruler guides and the gloves and see what seems to "fit."

Grannyh67 03-13-2012 04:51 AM

I have that fear too, I'm not very good at using the rotary cutter yet and try very hard not to cut myself. Might have to look into those gloves.

solstice3 03-13-2012 05:10 AM

I don't like the constraints of gloves or even thimbles. I cut myself once with a rotary cutter...don't remember name just that it was blue. Got rid of it and now use a Fiskar cutter that is better designed for safety. Hope you heal quickly.

joym 03-13-2012 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie (Post 5053515)
I sliced my index finger a month ago. Thought about getting stitches, but used super glue instead with a bandage. In no time it was healed and there is no scar. I was surprised at not having a scar. Since then I've been more careful. But know when I'm in a hurry to cut 'just this one piece' it may happen again.
Those gloves sound like a good idea.
Hope you get to feeling better and healing fast.

Phyllis
QuiltingGrannie
Quilter's Pantry

I cut the end of my finger awhile ago and went to the Dr. and HE used superglue and a bandage!! If it happens again, I can do that myself!!

C. 03-13-2012 05:30 AM

Hi, Go to WorkGloves.net and look at the Kevlar Perfect Fit uncoated lightweight cut resistant 100% Kevlar gloves. They are $3.49 a pair. They fit really nice and work great. I have never run my rotary cutter over it, but a lady that works at a quilt shop uses them since she cut her finger years ago and swears by them. Her hubby brings them home for her from the plant he works in. She gave me one and that is what I use. A lot cheaper than Fons and Porter.......

Grace MooreLinker 03-13-2012 06:07 AM

I use one of the handles that I bought at the drug store, it has suckion cups and stays attached to the ruler . Now fingers and hand are away from the cutting edge. at the hardware store I found a smaller one that fits my smaller templates.