Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rowenta vs Oliso (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rowenta-vs-oliso-t266015.html)

sewbeadit 06-04-2015 05:24 PM

I won't have another Rowenta, they couldn't give me a new one. Had way too many problems. I now use a black and decker 25.oo one that works fine, I use it without steam.

QuiltnLady1 06-04-2015 05:33 PM

I had a Rowenta start to smoke (set off the smoke detector) -- bought a Panasonic with the titanium sole plate and like it a lot. Our shop had an Oliso and the front post quit going all the way back in and it would catch the edge of fabric when we tried to use it so I stayed away from the Oliso.

Shelby 06-04-2015 05:40 PM

I won't have another Rowenta either, too many problems. I just got a Hamilton Beach Durathon Digital, I really like it. I like a heavy iron, and this is it!

cashs_mom 06-04-2015 05:46 PM

I just replaced my Laurastar Steam Generator with an Oliso this year. It was a bit of an adjustment at first getting used to using an iron instead of a steam generator, but now I really like the Oliso. I got mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond. With the 20% off coupon and my gift cards, it was free!

dflynn 06-04-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com (Post 7216970)
I too have the one made in Germany and I love it. Have had it a few years now and don't have
any complaints. You are right about all of them not being made there.

My Rowenta was made in Germany. Had it for years and love it.

ctrysass2012 06-04-2015 08:09 PM

Have always stayed away from the Rowenta because of the reviews. My husband got an Oliso for me for Christmas 1 year & I liked it until the feet went screwy. They started popping in & out all the time. Ironing, setting or standing on end.
Very difficult to press anything. Went back to the GE I've had since 1978. It squeals if I use steam because it has been dropped a few times but still gets very hot so it is a dry iron. Spray bottle or Best Press for steam. Old must be good! :)

nanacc 06-04-2015 09:39 PM

After fighting many others (including Rowenta), I bought a T-fal at WalMart (about $35) and have had no issues with it. It steams very well without leaks. A friend had the Oliso and had the same problems as ctrysass2012.

Ariannaquilts 06-05-2015 03:01 AM

I have had my Oliso for years and absolutely love it. I have never had a problem with leaks! The only thing that is or rather can be a problem is that when you are accustomed to the iron coming up off your item that your ironing and you use a different iron you tend to forget about the independent coming up and could burn something, oops! Mostly I stick to using my Oliso for this very reason.

paoberle 06-05-2015 03:10 AM

I have had a Rowenta for years and love it.

sandy l 06-05-2015 03:39 AM

I have a Continental dry iron, no steam, no auto-shut off, and it's heavy. Really like it. I use to have Rowentas until I started having steam leaking problems too. Tried several other brands, never the Oliso tho. Found the Continental at Vermont Trading Co., but could probably find it somewhere else.