Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Rude Guild Members/Need Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/rude-guild-members-need-help-t120460.html)

himnherr 05-03-2011 04:35 AM

I was a Weight Watcher leader for over 5 years and we were taught to start heading in the noisy ones direction, all the while keeping the discussion going. That gets peoples eyes all pointing at the rude ones and they usually shut up. I don't know if that'd work in your situation as I have never been to a guild meeting, but it might.

Pamela Artman 05-03-2011 04:50 AM

I would hate to embarrass someone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Unlike business meetings, people come to a quilt guild to have fun and they can choose not to come again if they are made to feel uncomfortable or have negative attention called to them. If I went to a guild meeting and the speaker called my name or came to stand next to me if I was talking, I'd probably be so embarrassed I would not come back. At the first meeting, you could talk about the "problem" and ask for suggestions so that all the members feel they are a part of the solution. My aunt is a teacher and when her classroom would get noisy, she would turn out the light and when it got quiet, she'd turn it back on and continue talking. Maybe you could make a game out of it. Pass out numbered slips of paper and if someone is talking others could take their paper from them. At the end of the meeting, draw a number and whoever has the paper with that number on it would win a fat quarter or pattern. Just something to make it a fun reminder not to talk when someone else is talking.

newquilter10 05-03-2011 04:52 AM

People do this everywhere and it bugs the puddin out of me.

I go to WW when in Texas and I get so upset as I pay good money to go to hear the leader not the twenty side meetings. I keep saying I am going to say something and wish I had the guts to do so. It is so RUDE to be yakking when they are talking.

Good luck!

LindaR 05-03-2011 04:59 AM

this is a large problem, our ed chairperson states at the beginning of a guest lecture that "full attention" would be appreciated and please do not get up and leave during the lecture...really bad manners LOL We have a couple of 80+ members who chat during the whole meeting and someone taps them on the shoulder and shushes them which brings on a big huff but really necessary. I am on the board and it has been brought up that maybe there is not sufficient "chat" time before the meeting. I personally don't think this is a problem but you can't get them to shut up no matter what.

BMP 05-03-2011 05:05 AM

All good suggestions, if I am having a hard time hearing whats being said and the person who is chatting is near me I have no problem turning and saying something to them...I am quite blunt when it comes to people like that....

Cherylsea 05-03-2011 05:05 AM

Don't know if this is possible in your situation but our guild changed the seating to two rows of chairs in a wide semi-circle. A lot of people didn't like it but it did cut down the talking.

gaigai 05-03-2011 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman
I would hate to embarrass someone or make anyone feel uncomfortable. Unlike business meetings, people come to a quilt guild to have fun and they can choose not to come again if they are made to feel uncomfortable or have negative attention called to them. If I went to a guild meeting and the speaker called my name or came to stand next to me if I was talking, I'd probably be so embarrassed I would not come back. At the first meeting, you could talk about the "problem" and ask for suggestions so that all the members feel they are a part of the solution. My aunt is a teacher and when her classroom would get noisy, she would turn out the light and when it got quiet, she'd turn it back on and continue talking. Maybe you could make a game out of it. Pass out numbered slips of paper and if someone is talking others could take their paper from them. At the end of the meeting, draw a number and whoever has the paper with that number on it would win a fat quarter or pattern. Just something to make it a fun reminder not to talk when someone else is talking.

Well, we are SUPPOSED to be adults here, not elementary school children. Learning the correct way to act in a social situation is part of being an adult . If you think it is "fun" to speak while someone else is, and that it is "fun" to disturb the people around you who are trying to listen to a speaker, then you should also find it "Fun" when your rude behavior is pointed out, gently. Remember the saying "if you call the tune, you have to pay the piper".

I think the other suggestions given have been excellent!!

Scissor Queen 05-03-2011 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pamela Artman

You can't be made to feel uncomfortable or be embarrassed if you're not talking. The solution is very, very simple and doesn't need any input from anybody else. Don't talk when the speaker is talking. You shouldn't need to be reminded to be polite.

dunster 05-03-2011 05:40 AM

I agree with Pamela that what's appropriate in a business setting is not always going to work with a social group, which is really what most guilds are. I don't like the idea of intentionally embarrassing anyone, but the person "in charge" should step in and stop the chit-chat if it is interfering with the speaker or with the business meeting. Just banging the gavel and saying "there are too many side conversations going on for some of us to hear the speaker" should do it.

julia58 05-03-2011 06:22 AM

I believe you have enough suggestions. I just wanted to say good luck in your new position. Anytime you have a bunch of hens in one spot, there is going to be a whole bunch of cackling going on...