Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ruler Revolution - anyone tried these? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ruler-revolution-anyone-tried-these-t178285.html)

lfstamper 02-14-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4953780)
If you have any of the EQ software, you can print hst and other shapes any size you want.

How do you do this in EQ? I just got EQ7 and have a lot to learn. I need 3 1/2" HST triangles. Thanks so much.

Snowball2013 06-11-2013 06:20 PM

I just came across the posts about the Snowball ruler by Ruler Revolution and enjoyed reading the comments. I love Snowball blocks but found cutting and marking little squares to be sewn on the corners of larger squares too time consuming. Plus my blocks always wanted to skew out of shape. So, invented the ruler and technique whereby only two squares the same size are used to construct the block. The two squares are placed right sides together. Then, the ruler lined up on the squares using the designated lines on the rulers. The four corner sewing lines are marked in the slots in the ruler and quickly sewn. The top fabric is cut through the middle horizontally and vertically and pressed out towards the four corners. The blocks are trimmed up and viola, in two minutes you have a perfect Snowball block. This same ruler can be used to snowball any size square or rectangle and to miter corners perfectly and simply. Addition videos are coming soon to the website located at www.rulerrevolution.com. I welcome any questions or comments.

DOTTYMO 06-11-2013 11:28 PM

I have just partially watched stones and?... Video. Sorry for me too much wasted fabric.

Snowball2013 06-12-2013 07:47 PM

Hi Dotty. The techniques for using the Sticks and Stones ruler have recently been undated and the new videos should be posted soon. There is actually no wasted fabric with the new technique. Plus, four units can be constructed at once verses the old fashioned way of making one unit at a time. The units made with this particular ruler are rectangles with a triangle on one end or both ends. (think house top units, Christmas tree units, Picket Fence units, etc.) Cutting the fabric is much easier and faster because there are no little squares to cut. For instance, with the ruler and technique, let's say I am going to make four Picket Fence units 2" wide and 6 1/2" long. I cut two fabrics. One fabric is cut 6 1/2" X 10" and the other fabric is cut 2" X 10". I place the fabrics right sides together and line up the top long edges. I then mark the sewing lines for the diagonal seams using the Sticks and Stones ruler. Next, I sew on the diagonal lines and cut the four units apart using markings on the ruler. I press the corners of the units forming a triangle. Lastly, I trim the "ears" from behind the triangle on the ends. You now have four perfect Picket Fence units that are never skewed out of shape The "ears" make perfect half square triangles that can be used in the project or in another project. Same goes for the Snowball block "ears". Even the small rectangular pieces that are sometimes formed and cut off with the larger Snowballs, I use to make my piano key borders and typically double sew corners so my half square triangles are ready to use. I just realized, it probably took me longer to type these instructions than it takes to make the four units:>) The quilt on the website called Fall Salsa II has 512 of the Picket Fence units. But it only took me two weekends and five evenings to construct the quilt. (I work fulltime in addition to my ruler business). The quilt looks tedious and time consuming but it really isn't and I did not have to cut 512 - 2" squares but it looks like I did. If you plan to come to the International Festival in Houston, we will be there again this Fall. We would love to meet you in our booth. Please drop by. Happy quilting.

charsuewilson 06-13-2013 06:36 PM

I've never heard of them before, and not even now. I went to the web site and the only way to see any information about them was to view a video, and I don't wast time viewing videos. I can read information much faster than anyone in a video will show me, plus text and simple photos of the items in use would be much better than a video. I'm not saying web sites shouldn't have videos, only that it shouldn't be the only way to see information about the product.

RulerGal 04-23-2014 06:28 PM

I have tried them and really like them. It is a new technique that uses the ruler to mark the sewing line not to be used to cut with the ruler.