Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sad but true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sad-but-true-t42461.html)

ctmhjenn 04-20-2010 10:17 PM

Well, I have read through all the posts, and have come to page 6, and Chris, I have to say, I feel exactly the same way you do. I will NEVER use all the fabric I have in my sewing room..WHY??? Because I love looking at it, and find it hard to cut it up. I too have said the same as you, NO MORE! But I went out and purchased some fabric on line..for the third time, to make my wonderful sister a quilt. I just didn't like the other fabrics I purchased, so there they sit, and the new is waiting in the wings. Would she have been happy with the other fabric, undoubtedly...just a quilt from me would have made her estatic. BUT..YES, there IS an underlying reason. I have finally figured out what mine is, sad to say, it took me a good 15 years, but to finally recognize what the issue is, is a wonderful feeling. I am staying out of stores. I ONLY go in for something I truly need, which is nothing. I am a very good none shopper...to the dismay of the lqs. I never thought about a partner, but I am there with you, holding your hand, as long as you hold on to mine. Joanie

chris_quilts 04-21-2010 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ctmhjenn
Well, I have read through all the posts, and have come to page 6, and Chris, I have to say, I feel exactly the same way you do. I will NEVER use all the fabric I have in my sewing room..WHY??? Because I love looking at it, and find it hard to cut it up. I too have said the same as you, NO MORE! But I went out and purchased some fabric on line..for the third time, to make my wonderful sister a quilt. I just didn't like the other fabrics I purchased, so there they sit, and the new is waiting in the wings. Would she have been happy with the other fabric, undoubtedly...just a quilt from me would have made her estatic. BUT..YES, there IS an underlying reason. I have finally figured out what mine is, sad to say, it took me a good 15 years, but to finally recognize what the issue is, is a wonderful feeling. I am staying out of stores. I ONLY go in for something I truly need, which is nothing. I am a very good none shopper...to the dismay of the lqs. I never thought about a partner, but I am there with you, holding your hand, as long as you hold on to mine. Joanie

Joanie;
I will hold your hand also. It took me about the same amount of time but I will make quilts from my stash without buying any m ore fabric. Batting and thread is another issue. However, I can take DDs or DH with me when I go for them so that is all I buy. DH sometimes is an enabler but I've begun to explain my diet to him and he does seem to understand. Thanks for understanding and holding my hand. I will not only hold your hand but pray for you if you would like that.
Chris

jojo47 04-21-2010 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty

Originally Posted by jojo47

Originally Posted by granniebj
Thats funny! I definitely have the same urges, but just can't afford it....I just go to the fabric shop and drool!
~Bj~

Today my DD told me not to buy any more fabric until I've used up some of what I have (she had found a bag with fabric and a pattern from 1989 :mrgreen: ...heck, I'll still use it!) Anyway, I'm doing pretty well at not buying any, because I'll be recovering from a total hip replacement, and since most of my stash is upstairs, I won't be able to get at it very readily. I DO plan on getting a few things lined up, at least for hand quilting...

good luck on your hip surgery. I will say a prayer for you, that everything goes well. God bless. Penny

Thank you, Penny! I have a good feeling about it, because it will be so nice to walk without my hip hurting! My family and coworkers are all very supportive, and Iknwo my quilting friends are, as well.

zz-pd 04-21-2010 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by penny doty

Originally Posted by granniebj
Thats funny! I definitely have the same urges, but just can't afford it....I just go to the fabric shop and drool!
~Bj~

Today my DD told me not to buy any more fabric until I've used up some of what I have (she had found a bag with fabric and a pattern from 1989 :mrgreen: ...heck, I'll still use it!) Anyway, I'm doing pretty well at not buying any, because I'll be recovering from a total hip replacement, and since most of my stash is upstairs, I won't be able to get at it very readily. I DO plan on getting a few things lined up, at least for hand quilting...

good luck on your hip surgery. I will say a prayer for you, that everything goes well. God bless. Penny

Thank you, Penny! I have a good feeling about it, because it will be so nice to walk without my hip hurting! My family and coworkers are all very supportive, and Iknwo my quilting friends are, as well.

You are very welcome. I am glad you have someone there for you. God bless. Penny

bearisgray 12-07-2010 07:11 AM

The big thing is:

If one ASKS for "help" in controlling ones spending, the help is welcome.

If someone jumps in without "permission" - it feels judgmental and/or controlling.

tjradj 12-07-2010 07:18 AM

I applaud you on your courage to control your spending addiction. Going for recovery is difficult. And when friends take the step "lightly" or as a joke it only makes it harder.
Good for you for getting an accountability partner. Having supportive people around you is important for success.
I wish you well.

quilter68 12-07-2010 10:47 AM

FUNNY! Have you set-up a 12 step program yet?

BusyDebbie 12-07-2010 11:00 AM

I'm guilty as well, I have more stash than I need, I don't have near enough time to do the projects done I need to. But, low and behold where do I go first while shopping material shop at whatever store I am in at the time. And when not there I am on this site or facebook, working full time,taking care of things for my dad and his mom when she needs me to so who has time not me, There is always tomorrow Have a Happy Holiday everyone.

Prissnboot 12-07-2010 11:08 AM

so let me get this straight - you are talking to US, fellow stashaholics about how you need someone to keep your stash in check, and we're supposed to understand?

This coming from someone who refers to Joann's as 'the crack house'!!!!!

Prissnboot 12-07-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Prissnboot
so let me get this straight - you are talking to US, fellow stashaholics about how you need someone to keep your stash in check, and we're supposed to understand?

This coming from someone who refers to Joann's as 'the crack house'!!!!!

and I just discovered the term "stashbuster" yesterday, can't wait to make a stashbuster quilt! First I need to do a scrapbuster quilt tho. I can't stand to waste, but thankfully am FAR from being a hoarder......thus the need for the scrapbusting! Perhaps after the holidays.....