Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sad but true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sad-but-true-t42461.html)

jdavis 04-17-2010 10:27 AM

I wish I could say I had your problem!
I simply cannot afford to buy fabric any time I please, so I don't have to worry about someone keeping me in check.
I will say, it's good that you took some action on your own! Good luck!

granniebj 04-17-2010 10:59 AM

Thats funny! I definitely have the same urges, but just can't afford it....I just go to the fabric shop and drool!
~Bj~

jojo47 04-18-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by granniebj
Thats funny! I definitely have the same urges, but just can't afford it....I just go to the fabric shop and drool!
~Bj~

Today my DD told me not to buy any more fabric until I've used up some of what I have (she had found a bag with fabric and a pattern from 1989 :mrgreen: ...heck, I'll still use it!) Anyway, I'm doing pretty well at not buying any, because I'll be recovering from a total hip replacement, and since most of my stash is upstairs, I won't be able to get at it very readily. I DO plan on getting a few things lined up, at least for hand quilting...

craftybear 04-18-2010 09:39 PM

wow, so are you buying any fabrics now?

jojo47 04-18-2010 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
wow, so are you buying any fabrics now?

No, because I've promised myself that I need to get a couple of bigger projects finished first...like a Turning Twenty quilt for my nephew, and one for my DH from the 'Just Can't Cut It' pattern. I do have my fabric on had for those...

gaigai 04-18-2010 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I'm thinking that I would lose a good friend if I tried this. The first time she tried to tell me that I shouldn't shop, I would say something like "who the hell are you to tell me...". I hate when other people try to tell me what to do, even if I know it's in my best interest. Better I just continue to shop. :D

Uh, me too! Talk about "Getting my Irish up"!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll:

chris_quilts 04-19-2010 04:25 PM

Ladies and gents;
I originally started this thread b/c frankly my buying was out of control and no progress was being made on projects. I watched "Hoarding: Buried Alive" last nite and the single lady on the later episode was buying stuff for the feeling it gave her. That resonated with me about my fabric stash. I do not know if I'm trying to fill some void or it's the feeling that I get when I buy fabric (usually only fabric) but realized I need to figure that out PLUS get projects done before I buy anything else. I asked my friend to help me with this so I would have to tell on myself if I bought fabric without first talking to her. I realize this is not a diet for everyone but I needed something in order to help me out and this is my plan. I do enjoy buying fabric but how much is enough and why am I buying more when I have plenty already. IS it for some feeling that I can't even recognize, let alone name?
Chris

lots2do 04-19-2010 05:08 PM

I respect your decision. I think we all have to listen to our gut when it comes to things that seem to signal that things are not right in some way. (Hope that makes sense, I am tired).
If it doesn't feel good, it is time for a change. That could be applied to many things in our lives (like when you finally decide to get more exercise or change a bad habit).
I think it's wise to figure out what the fabric shopping might be in place of. You have found a solution that will work for you.
Good luck!
lots2do

zz-pd 04-19-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by jojo47

Originally Posted by granniebj
~Bj~

Today my DD told me not to buy any more fabric until I've used up some of what I have (she had found a bag with fabric and a pattern from 1989 :mrgreen: ...heck, I'll still use it!) Anyway, I'm doing pretty well at not buying any, because I'll be recovering from a total hip replacement, and since most of my stash is upstairs, I won't be able to get at it very readily. I DO plan on getting a few things lined up, at least for hand quilting...

good luck on your hip surgery. I will say a prayer for you, that everything goes well. God bless. Penny

zz-pd 04-19-2010 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Ladies and gents;
I originally started this thread b/c frankly my buying was out of control and no progress was being made on projects. I watched "Hoarding: Buried Alive" last nite and the single lady on the later episode was buying stuff for the feeling it gave her. That resonated with me about my fabric stash. I do not know if I'm trying to fill some void or it's the feeling that I get when I buy fabric (usually only fabric) but realized I need to figure that out PLUS get projects done before I buy anything else. I asked my friend to help me with this so I would have to tell on myself if I bought fabric without first talking to her. I realize this is not a diet for everyone but I needed something in order to help me out and this is my plan. I do enjoy buying fabric but how much is enough and why am I buying more when I have plenty already. IS it for some feeling that I can't even recognize, let alone name?
Chris

Hang in there Chris, and be strong. and please do find out if you have a void you are trying to feel. we are taking you seriously. I can not buy fabric at all do to no money. and I would love to go in to Joann's and buy some, heck I even dream about it. but that does not mean I do not totally 100% respect you. God bless. Penny