Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sad but true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sad-but-true-t42461.html)

great aunt jacqui 04-13-2010 04:56 PM

unless I am buying additional fabric for my project, I still roam the shops. I have cut down a lot. If I don't NEED anything I will search for remnants I like or buy a quarter yard of something I love. I rearrange my stashes a lot. Get get bigger boxes. group them, sort them. must be getting olDER.

Oklahoma Suzie 04-13-2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
LOL!!!
Many of us have a similar issue. Sometimes I just NEED to buy some fabric. Unfortunately (well not really) my church friends are the ones I go fabric shopping with!!!!
I am trying really hard to keep it reined in for right now. I have another daughter getting married in October and I need to save for a big wedding!!!

I need a friend like that.

Joanie2 04-13-2010 05:53 PM

I don't feel guilty. I just think of all the money I am saving if because I don't drink alcohol or soda pop and I don't smoke or gamble. And I'm always willing to share when my friends are searching for a fabric. I just let them shop in my closet because I know they will allow me the same when I am in need of something.

sananddandy 04-13-2010 06:18 PM

I live in AL and my friend lives in IL. She asked me to pray for her to stay out of fabric stores. We visited in IL a few weeks later and I went to Hobby Lobby - guess who I ran into in the fabric department :-)

thismomquilts 04-13-2010 07:01 PM

I have purchased only fabrics for my two stepdaughter's quilts in the last year. I have enough stash I've been able to do all else I wanted to do. I started to begin a new project not too long ago and had to literally put it down and tell myself I will NOT begin somtehing new until all my UFO's are done - EXCEPT now I'll HAVE to go shopping for that new baby on the way!! ;)

penski 04-13-2010 07:34 PM

i know how you feel when you think you just have to go and get your fabric fix!!! you know what i do ? i jump in the car and go to the fabric store and get my fix!!! i figured i dont have any other bad habits to break so why break the only one i have

jojo47 04-13-2010 08:51 PM

I've made myself a promise not to buy any more fabric until I have my UFOs pretty well caught up...especially the quilt I'm making for a nephew. I have the FQ's ironed and ready to cut, but haven't picked up my rotary cutter yet. Another reason why I'm not shopping for more fabric is because I own't be able to get around my cutting table very well for a few weeks as I'm having a total hip replacement done. (After I'm back to walking fairly well again, my SIL told me she'll take me for 'therapy'...like mall walking..and who knows what we'll find!)

zz-pd 04-13-2010 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Ladies and gents; This past Wednesday, I decided I needed an accountability partner, one who DOES NOT quilt, for my own sanity. I drove 3.5 hrs out of my way to go to a fabric shop to buy fabric, of course, and left only b/c I realized that I really did need some $ for food purposes on my business trip. I have quite a bit built up in my stash, minus batting, and need to do some making of quilts and things before I can even think of justifying buying more fabric. This is not from DH but from me. I think that I somewhere crossed a line within myself in regards to my fabric buying and so asked a friend a church to be my partner. She is more than happy to help me out and she does not quilt so this will help me. We contracted that I would call her before doing any fabric shopping so we can talk about it and she can rake me over the coals and tell me, truthfully, that I don't need any more fabric. Sorry this is long but I needed to tell some people that may understand why even if no one agrees. i am actually interetsted in others' reactions/thoughts to this posting.

Chris

Hi Chris, I soo understand what you are talking about, when I had so much money and nobody needed help at the time, I use to by lots of craft supplies, and not just one of the item, but three or four. When we lost our house in Oct, most of it went to good will because we did not have room in this small 4 plex we now live in. that is great you have a partner now, that will help you out a great deal, and after you make a couple quilts, reward yourself with the purchase of some fabric. Penny

zz-pd 04-13-2010 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by ctack2
Ok, I have a solution for you all.

I am just starting out, and have NO stash at all. PM me and I'll give you my address. That way, I'll get a stash started, you you all won't feel guilting about buying more fabric! WIN - WIN....hehehe

Carol B

I am with you.Penny :lol: :lol:

zz-pd 04-13-2010 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
I think that's a very wise idea. If you feel any part of your life is out of control, getting a buddy to help you out is a good plan.

I need a buddy to guard my refridgerator and slap me every time I get near it.

you are so funny, thank you for the laugh. It was much needed. Penny