Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sad but true (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sad-but-true-t42461.html)

Shemjo 04-13-2010 06:18 AM

What a wonderful idea! I do not NEED any more fabric, but......
Will have to learn to use the phone for the purpose of curbing my addiction. Now to finishing all those Q-tips!

merryhare 04-13-2010 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW
chris_quilts,

I understand and I say good for you to recognize you needed to reign it in.

I bet once you get into using your stash, it will get easier. I love to shop my stash, it is almost as good as hitting the fabric stores.

Good luck. You can do it.

Amen. Although I usually get sidetracked if I am shopping for, say, roman shade lining and just happen to wonder into the quilt fabric section.............

bob1414 04-13-2010 06:59 AM

Sounds like a sponsor in a 12 step program......it's a big step for you - good luck!

miholmes 04-13-2010 07:25 AM

I can SO relate to you. I went through my stash the other day, granted I got alot of it from Freecyle....but I don't fabric I purchased to make acouple quilts, and then SEVERAL bags from Hancock and Joann with the reciept still in them....I was like...WOW I forgot I bought that. I thought it was great fabric at the time, but did I REALLY need it....probably not.

I'm kinda getting that way about tools as well...so I REALLY need those new Gingher sissors....my old ones works fine....but I WANT them...:)

No one told me this hobby would be so heavy on the old bank account. :)

Connie in Indiana 04-13-2010 07:53 AM

I know when I can't get more I am out of money to do it with.
That is when I get on here an just read all the post. I ck. on here off an on all day long.

AliKat 04-13-2010 10:44 AM

I love it! Now, if she can help you be energized to finish any UFO's and use your stash you'll be set.

enjoy the friendship.

Quiltgranny 04-13-2010 03:21 PM

Hi Chris,

Good for you!! :thumbup: It is quite amazing to me how easy it has been to get sucked into the buying frenzy in the quilting world, and I am on a limited budget. I applaud your efforts, and your commitment to your accountability partner.

I think for many of us, we want to learn more about this hobby, so surely... the more books, patterns, tools, classes and even fabric we buy... the better quilter we'll become, right? :lol: :roll:

I knew this moment was coming for me soon too, but it was a comment that DH made that really got me to thinking. He said, should I "go before he does", he did NOT want to have the hassle of going through my things and dispersing them. Please understand that he is also disabled, and this would've been a very difficult thing for him to do. As well, we have no other quilters nor sewists in the family, so it would've been a tough matter for him.

Anyway, for the last few months, I've been selling off many of my books, patterns, fabric and a few tools to other members here who haven't reached this point yet. I cannot possibly read them all, use them all, etc. in my lifetime. Why not share with others than can get some use from them? Many of them were brand new or in near new shape. It was a very time consuming job for me to do this, and a bit painful too, as it reminded me of how careless I had become in my decision making in this area. With the sales proceeds I bought a new microwave and saved money to have my son's wedding quilt done by a LA'er. These are items that can be used right away, and hopefully enjoyed for a good many years.

I'm really glad you posted this topic and shared your thoughts with all of us. Much appreciated. Maybe some others will recognize that they too, may need to tighten their reins as well.

Hang in there, it does get easier. We just need to break the cycle! :wink:

Cathleen Colson 04-13-2010 04:05 PM

I satisfy my urge to buy fabric without adding to my stash by buying fabric for our guild charity quilt group. 7 women meet twice a month to cut up fabric into kits with instructions. We either sew them up ourselves, or pass the kits out at guild meeting. The finished tops are matched with backing and batting and given to volunteers to quilt on domestic or long arms. When they are quilted, we cut bindings and group members bind them at home in the evenings. We make and distribute almost 200 quilts each year. Size is usually 40" by 52", or 36" by 48". The bigger ones go to foster children's camps, shelters, children's hospital. The small ones are for wheelchairs and go to the Veteran's hospital or senior citizens. We buy queen size bats and cut them into 4 pieces for the larger quilts, or use 10 yard roles of 48" batting from JoAnn. I get to go shopping, donate most of my purchases, get reimbursed for some. Satisfies my need to find bright colors at a bargain price!

zkosh 04-13-2010 04:09 PM

Chris,
Congratulations on making a stand and getting support. I certainly understand the feeling of being out of control. Recently I have been pretty good about not buying fabric at random just because I like it. Money has been a little short lately and I have lots of things to work on.

Good luck on your venture! :thumbup:

Butterfli19 04-13-2010 04:26 PM

I agree. About a year ago I made the decision to not buy more fabric, and I only have 3 rubbermaid tubs of fab and one smaller one of batting. Some fabrics I love I bought when dd was born and she is now 23!

I love fabric and think I bought it because it was so pretty, but then I would wash it and fold it and store it and buy more. I wondered if it was the fabric I wanted or actually buying the fabric was a substitute for something else. Anyway, I have only bought a few yards of fabric since then and couldn't be happier. I feel more in control now than before. It's much easier to give in than say no, but the easy thing is usually not the best character builder.