Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sashing or no sashing...opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sashing-no-sashing-opinions-please-t288935.html)

minibarn 06-14-2017 05:33 AM

Well, I like them both. That block pattern is very neat. Please post pics when you get it completed.

gramajo 06-14-2017 05:51 AM

I prefer it with sashing. It shows off each beautiful block.

QM 06-14-2017 06:02 AM

IMHO, the issue is what sort of quilting do you want to do. Unsashed, you have a lovely space for focused quilting, such as a floral motif. (or space for embroidery or applique). If you don't want to do those, sashed is probably a better idea.

cashs_mom 06-14-2017 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7843438)
i vote for the sashing because I like the individual blocks. But the secondary pattern by using no sashing would also be attractive

I agree. I'd go with the sashing, because I like the dramatic look of the black, but without sashing looks great, too.

threadedsister 06-14-2017 06:14 AM

Sashing

Originally Posted by GrammyJK (Post 7843399)
What do you think?

I think sashing would be the best choice

orangeroom 06-14-2017 06:29 AM

I agree with many so far who have posed the question of how you want to quilt this. I'll add by asking if your seams will butt appropriately or are they all headed in the same direction. If you can't rotate the blocks so that all seams butt, then I'd add the sashing. Your quilt will look great either way, just depends on a few things and what look you're going for. Are you hoping to have your piecing stand out or the quilting?

Jordan 06-14-2017 06:56 AM

Very nice blocks by the way. I think I prefer the sashing as it makes each block individually visual. Also like the no sashing picture so I don't think you can go wrong either way. Anxious to see what you decide. Please share your finish.

QuiltE 06-14-2017 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 7843408)
I honestly think with out sashing. the white is the background and they will float beautifully.

I agree the floating look would be best ..... which to me means, a white sashing would be in order!
Otherwise, the points on each block will be meeting up, and you somewhat lose the float.

With a white sashing, I would use a SIAS for a cornerstone, so that the centre square would be set on point and the outside would be in the same white. Because of the assortment of fabric choices for the main blocks, I would consider whether to use the same scheme of the SIAS centres or to pick one and use it for each of the centres.

Likewise, I would finish with the same outside sashing for the blocks, before deciding on how to finish it up with borders, or not, or what type!

If you are really wanting to use the black sashing (or any other colour), you will have the same effect with the points touching against the black. I would still prefer a white border first, in order to let those blocks float within the black.

Of course, all are IMHO ........... what you have looks great! I really like the warmth of the scrappy colours on the crisp white background.

dunster 06-14-2017 07:45 AM

I like the secondary pattern, so I would probably vote for no sashing. But I also like the dramatic look with the black sashing, so I might change my vote. Glad to be of help. :)

Kitsie 06-14-2017 07:52 AM

I agree with white sashing. Nice looking quilt pattern!