Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Satinedge Foot for 1/4 inch? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/satinedge-foot-1-4-inch-t28282.html)

gramfel 11-06-2009 08:09 PM

Does anyone use the Creative Foot called the Satinedge Foot for the 1/4inch seam on quilt pieces? I am just learning, so I know this topic has
been around and around, but I saw this foot, and it looked great, but it is expensive, too.
Thanks, Gramfel

gramfel 11-07-2009 05:37 AM

Well, life caught up with me somehow and kept me so busy for the past few months, I haven't done anything with the old quilt pieces - will try to pull them all out next week and "play" with them to see if there are enough for a project. I think my dd has some, too, but I am not sure.

My latest purchase has been a jellyroll (which I later read about and decided was too expensive to play with) so I am sewing the strips together to make squares and then use natural muslin between the squares (forgot the name of the pattern). If it turns out ok, I will post a picture later, but since I retired a few years ago, it takes me longer to learn or to accomplish my creative projects!!!
Thanks, Lulie

patricej 11-07-2009 05:43 AM

looks complicated. :shock:

sewjoyce 11-07-2009 06:19 AM

OK, what does a "satin edge" foot look like? :oops:

gramfel 11-07-2009 08:06 AM

It's just one of the 3 Creative Feet (See "Creative Feet" thru Google, and it will go to their website), and a friend has it on her machine she uses for all of her quilting. It has a white side that sticks out from the stainless foot and presses against the edge of the quilt square, so then the needle is just 1/4" away from the edge if you set your needle on the lefthand side.
It seems to guide a longer piece of the fabric through the machine.
Lulie

sewjoyce 11-07-2009 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by gramfel
It's just one of the 3 Creative Feet (See "Creative Feet" thru Google, and it will go to their website), and a friend has it on her machine she uses for all of her quilting. It has a white side that sticks out from the stainless foot and presses against the edge of the quilt square, so then the needle is just 1/4" away from the edge if you set your needle on the lefthand side.
It seems to guide a longer piece of the fabric through the machine.
Lulie

Oh yes, I can see how it would be great to use on quilts. Kind of expensive as I would have to buy the Bernina shank adapter -- but it looks like it could do so many things!! Have you used it yet??

gramfel 11-07-2009 09:46 AM

Actually, I don't have one; a friend has it on her machine and loves it, so I think I will order one. I hope to hear from someone on this group who has used it, too.
Lulie

Prism99 11-07-2009 10:14 AM

I use moleskin to keep my 1/4" seam accurate. It works much better for me than any foot or gauge I have tried. Moleskin is found in the foot department of pharmacies; I like the thick stuff best. Basically I place my presser foot on a ruler and lower the needle until it is at a scant 1/4". I cut the moleskin into strips, remove the paper from the adhesive side of a strip, and place it on the bed of the machine aligned against the ruler edge.

One of the advantages of using a hard right edge like this is that it requires much less concentration to feed the fabric through the machine, and I can go much faster with this than I can with a 1/4" foot or by following markings.

tuesy 11-07-2009 10:26 AM

I have one and only used it once... I honestly didn't care for it so much. I found it was just easier to keep my presser foot on the edge of my applique.

gramfel 11-07-2009 11:01 AM

Great idea! I would love to see a picture of that upclose, too!
Lulie