Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scissors...How many? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scissors-how-many-t215861.html)

nativetexan 03-09-2013 06:49 AM

I have about six or eight pair. all Gingher I think. all orange handles. except for the ergonomic ones, gray and black with orange lock-usually see those at cutting tables in fabric stores.

mgmsrk 03-09-2013 07:07 AM

I have many, I don't know how many. ;)

The must have..........If I had to just keep a few
8" spring action Gingher
10" Gingher Tailor's
8.5 Fiskers Dressmakers
9 Fiskers dressmakers
Assorted embroidery
non fabric scissors for cutting paper and other stuff
Pinking shears

On top of those I like to keep embroidery scissors and a full size at each sewing machine (2 sm's, cover stitch and serger) along with scissors in each of my mending baskets.

Good scissors, like any tool go a long way to making sewing easier. I LOVE my big tailors, they will cut through so many layers with ease and snip right to the end,no catching the fabric between the blades and just stretching it in place of snipping. The problem is that they are very heavy so I don't want to cut with them all the time. I love my spring action Gingers but they too are heavy, that is where the Fiskers come in, plastic grips so less weight but they have a wonderful blade.

Luv Quilts and Cats 03-09-2013 07:15 AM

I have big scissors, 1 in my sewing box, one in my quilt tote, one in another tote that I use for my hand piecing projects. I have a smaller pair also in my sewing box, and an pair of stork embroidery scissors I use for my counted cross stitch. I love Ginghers. I had a pair when I began home ec sewing classes in 8th grade. Not sure what happened to them, but I don't seem to have them any longer.

Luv Quilts and Cats 03-09-2013 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by vanginney (Post 5915901)
Ok...lets re-phrase this question another way....since y'all have so many scissors. If you were stranded on an island and could only take 3 pairs...what 3 sizes would you bring? :)

Well, I would want on that island my Fiskars 8" and 4" (not sure of the lenghts) and my stork embroidery scissors. And a general all purpose scissor to cut everything else!!!!

yweinst 03-09-2013 07:20 AM

I have a large scissors for fabric, a large scissors for paper (for my freezer paper and such for applique), and I have a very small scissors for small details for my applique.

vondae 03-09-2013 07:33 AM

I love my 8 inch Ginghers for when I am making clothes for the grandbabies. But, my absolute favorite & most used are my small 4 1/2 inch & very sharp, embroidery scissors. I have several of these (mostly Ginghers) and use them all the time. I have a pair on a lanyard to wear around my neck when I am sewing binding, etc. I have a pair at my sewing machine, I have a pair in my embroidery bag & I usually have a couple more pair hanging on my peg board. That's if I haven't used them & laid them down some place. I also, usually have a pair or 2 still in the package ready to be put into use, if need be. When Joann's puts them on sale for 50% off, I buy a pair ( ginghers, that is). Those are pretty much the only 2 sizes I use. Oh, I almost forgot, I also use my pinking shears when making clothes or for trimming fabric getting ready to wash it, for my quilts. Here's to always having a sharp pair of scissors on hand. Vonda

ArtsyOne 03-09-2013 07:33 AM

I seem to collect scissors and knives. If I had to choose which scissors to bring to a desert island, it would be my 2" sharp point embroidery scissors for cutting threads and unsewing, 4" blades for cutting the triangles off when making snowballs, and 6" blades for dressmaking. As for knives, don't even get me started - I'm addicted to Thai Kiwi knives.

Nammie to 7 03-09-2013 07:41 AM

Scissors are like fabric - you can never have too many. I have them everywhere I work so I don't have to search when I'm working. Only three? That will never happen here.

irishrose 03-09-2013 08:10 AM

The lightweight Ginghers with the black plastic handles, then a small pointed pink pair - I think mine are Mondial and a good pair of snips, which just broke last night. I can count at least ten, but these are the three I use the most.

mighty 03-09-2013 08:18 AM

I have alot, not sure I could pick just 3.