Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilt-question-t84090.html)

Scissor Queen 12-20-2010 10:34 AM

I used the light/dark paper bag method with the first two scrappy log cabins I made. Some of the strips clashed pretty bad when I was sewing them together but let me tell you, those clashes gave those quilts LIFE and PERSONALITY in a big way!!

Do not be afraid to sew stuff together that doesn't match or that clashes!

quiltingnonie 12-20-2010 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by okiepastor
I did a king size strip quilt--grab and sew--the rule is you HAVE to use the one you grab unless it is the same color as the previous one :>)
Mile a minute is an easy one, too.
It is really amazing how it all works!

Whenever I tried the grab bag thing, I found myself 'cheating'! :oops:

Quiltforme 12-20-2010 11:06 AM

I just cannot do a scappy quilt even the bag method is so hard I have to coordinate my bag fabric I know shame on me but scrappy needs a pattern :)

mic-pa 12-20-2010 11:46 AM

I did what Chairaquilts said, www.quiltville.com has many scrappy ideas and I love using Bonnie hunters ideas.

kateyb 12-20-2010 11:50 AM

I have done the light/dark bag method. It was initially out of my "comfort zone". I used up a lot of those odd shaped strips that way. Sew them on squares of muslin-no stretching because of the bias edges.
The scrappy quilt I liked the best was cut in the "tumbler" shape in an equal amount and I sewed strips of light/dark/light/dark. Then laid the strips on the floor and played until I liked how it looked. Then labeled the rows so they wouldn't get mixed up and sewed them together. The end result will surprise you. That may be a more comfortable method for some.

PMY in QCA-IL 12-20-2010 11:55 AM

Don't forget you can use the reverse side of a piece of fabric too if you are randomly drawing pieces from light/dark bags!! Our guild has had some scrappy workshops, we did the "draw from a bag" too. If once in a while something doesn't look quite right to you, go ahead and include it, you'd be amazed at how everything does work together in the end.

maryb119 12-20-2010 12:03 PM

I make "planned scrappy" quilts. i use scraps but I like to put colors that look good next to each other. I can't just grab and stitch. I'm picky I guess.

bjeriann 12-20-2010 12:11 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I'm just going to do it. What ever comes out of the bag I'll sew together. I will off sent it with white or off white. Now I have to decide on that. I guess the first quilt will be the hardest to ajust my mindset on and after seeing the result of it the next won't be so hard.

suebee 12-20-2010 12:32 PM

The way you describe it is a great way to piece and quilt top using scraps. Go for it :)

BettyGee 12-20-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by kateyb
I have done the light/dark bag method. It was initially out of my "comfort zone". I used up a lot of those odd shaped strips that way. Sew them on squares of muslin-no stretching because of the bias edges.
The scrappy quilt I liked the best was cut in the "tumbler" shape in an equal amount and I sewed strips of light/dark/light/dark. Then laid the strips on the floor and played until I liked how it looked. Then labeled the rows so they wouldn't get mixed up and sewed them together. The end result will surprise you. That may be a more comfortable method for some.

Like this idea, will definitely give it a try. I'm a very structured personality and it gets in the way of creativity, got to learn to lighten up. This may help, thanks.