Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Scrappy quilt question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/scrappy-quilt-question-t84090.html)

klgreene 12-20-2010 12:49 PM

I had the same problem. But I've overcome it. I put all my scrapes in a box, closed my eyes, picked out the piece of fabric, and no matter how ugly I thought it looked at the time. They turned out pretty cool. I pattern I made didn't use lights and darks, so I didn't separate them. But if you are making a pattern like Log Cabin with half light and half dark I'd separate them. Other wise, just dig in and pretend you are color blind until you have it finished.

Lori S 12-20-2010 12:59 PM

I too had serious issues with the just grab from the bag and sew method. After spending years of each quilt carefully selecting each and every fabric ... it was sooo hard to disregard what was now second nature. But ..... I did it and yes there where times when sewing , I wanted to retreat and plan it out, but fought the craving for some order daily. Glad I was able to overcome ... the results are great, so just go for it. Throw all caution to the wind .. live and quilt on the wild side.

okiepastor 12-20-2010 01:29 PM

It was hard for me to just grab n sew the first four, then it got much easier! They look SO neat when done--even using the "uglies"

jodimarie 12-20-2010 01:53 PM

please don't worry about colors ''matching'' in your scrappy quilt!! I've found that lime green looks GREAT next to hot pink or deep purple when the entire quilt is finished. Yea, that moment you are sewing those 2 colors together is a bit ''hard to do' the first time but then just throw caution to the wind and as they say...go for it!! The worst that can happen is when you have all your blocks sewn together and you really really don't like it...you don't have to finish it. Call it a good learning experience but I have a sneaking suspicion that you will fall in love the scrappy mindset!!

jodi in lsavenworth

hcarpanini 12-20-2010 01:54 PM

Sometimes it helps to use one constant fabric, be it either the light or the dark. the opposite would be your scraps.

Boscobd 12-20-2010 09:02 PM

I just completed my first scrappy quilt and used the paper bag method. It was a stretch for me as I usually agonize over color placement etc. The only time I didn't honor the bag method was if I pulled out 2 pieces that were the same (2 dark blues, or 2 reds, etc) that were supposed to go next to each other. In that case, I'd toss one back in and grab another. It worked great and I'm very happy with the outcome.

watterstide 12-21-2010 03:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by hcarpanini
Sometimes it helps to use one constant fabric, be it either the light or the dark. the opposite would be your scraps.

that is what i find that helps too..i think a string quilt is a good way to make a first scrappy quilt. with one string or strip in the center..to bring it all together.

This has 2 constant pieces,a white strip and a half piece
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146395[/ATTACH]

MerryQuilter 12-21-2010 03:16 AM

Soo true

meemersmom 12-21-2010 03:24 AM

I know it can be difficult to put whatever together, especially if you are used to planning out all your quilts. But, after you've got into it for a bit, something magical happens, and all of a sudden all the colors look good together when you view the quilt as a whole. It just adds to their charm.

ann clare 12-21-2010 03:48 AM

I use a different method for my scrappy quilts. I start by eliminating colors. My last quilt had no blue or purple in it. Different colors for each quilt. Finds this method helps me.