Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam Rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-rippers-t188591.html)

denveremerson 05-10-2012 10:36 AM

The white handled Clover is my favorite. Fine point and very sharp.

BellaBoo 05-10-2012 10:49 AM

I use my rotary cutter more then a seam ripper to rip out a seam. It's usually handy and I have never cut the fabric using it. It's like using the surgical blade ripper. I hold the seam apart spread through my fingers and thumb on one hand and slice the seam with the cutter in the other hand. The blade ripper, you use it like a zipper and unzip the seam.

Daylesewblessed 05-10-2012 11:32 AM

My mom gave me a battery operated ripper made by Wahl. It looks like a miniature neck clipper. It works great on long seams, but the drawback is that you have to get the hang of holding one piece of cloth up and steadying the other one with the same hand that is holding the ripper. Also, it only works when you can get in between the layers of cloth, so it is not for removing quilting stitches.

Dayle

Neesie 05-10-2012 11:45 AM

I recently bought a little cheap one . . . but it's not nearly as sharp, as the cheap ones used to be! My 35 year old seam ripper, that came with my Kenmore, is still sharper than this new one! :thumbdown:

susie-susie-susie 05-10-2012 11:47 AM

I usually buy the cheap ones and I buy several at a time. I usually can't find one when I need it. I would rather have a fairly dull ripper so I don't cut my fabric.
Sue

krysti 05-10-2012 12:11 PM

I love my Mighty Bright! I'm not sure if that is the brand name or not, but that's all I could find printed on it. I saw it at Hancock's one day when purchasing some fabric; and they told me to try it. Tried it; loved it, bought it and now it's the only one I use. The things I like about it are it has a magnifying glass on it, a light, and a swivel head! Now I no longer have to put on my extra strong reading glasses when it's time for me to rip out my seams! My new best friend lol :)

ghostrider 05-10-2012 12:15 PM

I use the one that came with my Viking sewing machine 23 years ago. I don't use it to cut threads, just to lift stitches for a couple inches before I cut that strand off with small scissors, repeating as necessary. I never cut between the fabrics...too messy, too much stress on the fabrics, and too much damage risk. Guess I'm a picker, not a ripper. :)

dunster 05-10-2012 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 5207729)
I usually buy the cheap ones and I buy several at a time. I usually can't find one when I need it. I would rather have a fairly dull ripper so I don't cut my fabric.
Sue

I think a dull seam ripper is like a dull knife - you're more likely to press harder and cut your fabric, or yourself. I like the Clover rippers too. I bought the white round handled ones until JoAnn's quit carrying them at my local shop, and then I changed to the brown handled ones, which I found at Fabric Depot. I should buy them by the gross, since I'm always losing them, and goodness knows I need them often enough. I tried the Dritz brand and the points broke off almost immediately.

spokanequilter 05-10-2012 01:14 PM

I use the one by Fons & Porter. I don't usually buy into their little gadgets, but this is one I love. It's sharp, the point has a slight angle so you can get under the stitches, even if you've already set the seam, and the handle end is rubber, which works like a charm to brush off the threads ends after you have unsewn the seam.

MS/L.A. G.R.I.T.S. 05-10-2012 01:21 PM

I always buy the small rippers by the dozen at Atlanta Thread & Supply. They have the little red plastic ball on the short side. When they get dull, just throw them out! Some times it's the technic used to rip. My Mom always cut a thread every few stitches on the top, then turn the fabric over and cut in between the top cuts on the bobbin thread. When I worked in a children's clothing factory, they were amazed how much quicker they could rip this way.