Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Seam Rippers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/seam-rippers-t188591.html)

QM 05-10-2012 01:30 PM

After more years sewing than I care to count, I have settled on the extra cheap ones from jhittle.com. I almost never cut a whole bunch of threads at one time. If I have a whole seam to do, I cut a thread here and there then pull the opposite one out. Besides being cheap, these blades are very slender, so they go in easily. I treat them like sewing needles, planning on regular replacements. When I go to a guild retreat, I have extras to hand to friends. When my beloved decides to use a ripper to pry something nasty, I can be gracious and say, "Oh keep it, darling."

lfstamper 05-10-2012 02:28 PM

I like the Gingher one and now you can buy refills so that will be great.

Peckish 05-10-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5207883)
I think a dull seam ripper is like a dull knife - you're more likely to press harder and cut your fabric, or yourself.

I agree 100% with this - and I HAVE shoved that seam ripper right through the fabric because it was dull and I was pushing too hard!

I'll use the seam ripper to cut 3-4 stitches, then I use my box knife blade for the rest of the seam.

Dolphyngyrl 05-10-2012 04:28 PM

I use the ones that came with my brother and babylock machines, they are awesome. I would use my gingher one if I could figure out how to work the dang thing

auntpiggylpn 05-10-2012 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 5207729)
I usually buy the cheap ones and I buy several at a time. I usually can't find one when I need it.Sue

Me too! This is the one gadget that I can't have too many of. I have a habit of misplacing them, often without moving from my chair! Cheapies and plenty of them!

snipforfun 05-10-2012 07:57 PM

Gingher seam ripper

Originally Posted by lfstamper (Post 5208036)
I like the Gingher one and now you can buy refills so that will be great.

I was told by Gingher that the blades are guaranteed for life and should never need to be replaced because of dullness. I supposed they could be damaged somehow and that is why they now make replacement blades or perhaps some people will assume they will need to be replaced because of dullness. ive had one since they first came out and its still sharp and believe me, I do lots of ripping!

Divokittysmom 05-10-2012 08:14 PM

I know someone already recommended this, but I too like Havels seam ripper. I also like the seam ripper that came with my Babylock Ellisimo.

burchquilts 05-10-2012 10:55 PM

I like the one from Fons & Porter the best (the one with the red & white handle). I happen to LOVE seam rippers & have tons. I just wish you could buy them with different width blades. I would like a thinner (narrower?) blade because I use a pretty small stitch when I sew.

Kitsie 05-11-2012 11:59 AM

I like my Clover flat handled one for normal seams (2.5) but found a little tiny one that came with one of my machines. It is very sharp and small - wonderful for 2.0 seams!

sassey 05-11-2012 03:01 PM

I used to use anything handy cheap seam rippers razor blade eyebrow cutter ect but i bought a lite brite at hancocks and now only use that love the light and magnifying glass on it