Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing Machine Recommendation--Bernina vs Viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-recommendation-bernina-vs-viking-t227373.html)

HouseDragon 08-07-2013 10:32 AM

From wikipedia:

"In February 2006 VSM Group was bought by Kohlberg & Co., who already owned the brand Singer. Singer and VSM Group have been merged into a company named SVP Worldwide, with headquarters in Hamilton, Bermuda, where the initials are reflecting the brands Singer, Viking and Pfaff."

So Singer does not own Viking.

To answer the question ... I love my Husqvarna 875Q. I highly recommend it. It has many features to love but "Needle up / Needle down" is my favorite. Another plus is being able to raise/lower the presser foot by tapping the foot pedal. Oh! And that lovely wide harp makes quilting easier.

I also have a mid-1960s Elna Supermatic that has stood the test of time: it was my first sewing machine.

I sure hope today's computerized machines last almost 50 years!!! :)

Originally Posted by sueissewing (Post 6218617)
I had a Viking and really loved it. Unfortunately, the feed dogs wore down and cannot be replaced. The place I took it (where they have repaired machines for many years) said that Viking has been sold out to Singer and is now made in China. The Viking feed dogs are made of aluminum vs Bernina's being made of steel. I now have a Bernina but sure do miss my Viking.

Reb 08-07-2013 10:35 AM

Definately listen to SallyJ. That will tell you what kind of dealer they are. You also may want to ask where you would be sending it for service and what would they expect in down time (if that might be important to you). Also, what kinds of classes do they offer. They should have a 'getting to know your machine' class. See if they charge for the class. My Bernina dealer offers that class for free as many times as you need to take it. Very nice if you take a break from quilting and want to go back.

SusanSusan33 08-07-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by FlaGirl (Post 6219376)
Hello to you Susan. I find it harder to get into quilting here. Not many quilt stores in south FL. I am more muddled than ever about these machines. Some people love the Viking and some hate it. Seems like it just depends on whether or not you get a lemon. I found a Janome dealer in town and will check it out tomorrow. Know nothing about this machine. Scary when you are talking about a few thousand dollars.

We have a couple of really nice dealers here in the Fort Myers area... One thing I've heard about the Bernina is the high cost for the accessory feet... It's hard to make a big purchase like that, isn't it!!

I wish we were closer, we could quilt together. Of course, I only quilt on the weekends or a little after work in the evenings... Good luck!! :)

FlaGirl 08-07-2013 12:22 PM

Wow Wintersewer, glad I just read your reply. I went and tried the 530 and it sewed very nicely. Then I started lusting after the 710. The thing is, the Viking 875 is most like the 710 for less money. You don't get as much with the Bernina 530 as you do with the Viking 875 and the price is almost the same. Have to go sew on the Viking now and give it a try. It also has a 10 inch throat space and the 530 only has 8. I really want more space to so I can machine quilt all these UFOs. My feet on the Bernina 130 are red so they will interchange. I don't have the BSR though.

FlaGirl 08-07-2013 12:25 PM

Susan, would be nice to have a quilting buddy:). My friends all play tennis, not quilt, and I have to drive 20 miles to Jupiter to go to any quilt classes. I tend to just play tennis. I am now retired so I am able to spend more time sewing but I do it in the evenings also.

Skyangel 08-07-2013 02:42 PM

LOVE my Bernina 440, does everything I want and always perfect tension. I have a vintage Viking in my collection (designated for my husband's use on heavy camping stuff) and it is a workhorse but I haven't tried a current model.

A good dealer makes a lot of difference, go sit down and sew on them both. Yes, Singer, Viking and Pfaff are now owned by SVP Worldwide, who manufactures them in Shanghai, China. Bernina is still family owned and manufactures the higher-end machines in Switzerland but also has a plant in Thailand.

Originally Posted by Wintersewer (Post 6220153)
No, they will not fit. Bernina changed the feet a few years ago, so they now sell NS (new style) and OS feet. The new ones have red print on the front.

Bernina old style feet fit 1630 (made in the 90s) and earlier. The OP currently has a 130, which is new style.

mighty 08-07-2013 03:29 PM

So many nice machines out there! Test, test, test. I have many Vikings and I love them but it is just a personal thing.

SingerSewer 08-07-2013 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter (Post 6218627)
I highly recommend whichever machine has a reliable dealer close by that offers good customer service.

Agree...dealer is every bit as important as the brand!

citruscountyquilter 08-08-2013 03:12 AM

I had heard that you can only get a Bernina repaired by an authorized Bernina dealer because they are the only ones that are able to get Bernina parts. This limits your choices of repair shops and would impact my decision. I have two Vikings that are both around 35 years old and sew like a dream. I have friends with other brands that love their machines too. You're not only buying a machine but also service so the location of the dealership and how comfortable you feel with them is important too.

nancyw 08-08-2013 03:20 AM

I stared with a Bernina 160, traded up for a 180 in 2000 which I still have. It's my travel machine. Had a 440 which I trad Had nothing but trouble from it, had to baby it and I don't baby my sewing machines. Trade down to a 550 and have never been happier in my life.ed up for a 820 when the first came out. My 180 has an embroidery attachment which I never use that's why I didn't get a 530. But as people have said test drive them both and see which dealer gives you the better service. I love my Bernias and I have a good dealer just down the road.