Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-table-t44817.html)

gailalter 05-03-2010 05:43 PM

I still iron too. I just like the look of starched cotton shirts and creased demins, I guess. But I have a lot of "at home" clothes I wouldn't iron, ever!

craftinggrandma 05-03-2010 05:53 PM

Thanks for the answers. we are going tomorrow to buy the lumber. Don't know how long it will take to make it..LOL

kayquilt 05-03-2010 05:57 PM

I'm a ironer too, just don't like wrinkled clothes. I even iron or press my "good" knit tops. They just look better.

carrieg 05-03-2010 06:14 PM

The table height will depend on if your machine drops down into the table, or sits on top. Although, if you get a chair that adjusts, that can make a difference.

theresse 05-03-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.

Cut the cuff off, its so much easer.

weezie 05-04-2010 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.

You could get a small pointy-end ironing board (little legs on it) to sit on top of your rectangle one, if you had a need for one. I bought a real cheap flimsy one many years ago, but I now see better and more expensive ones in Joann's. As I have no need for another one, I haven't researched to see what is available.

BKrenning 05-04-2010 07:29 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
What should the height of a sewing machine table be. My hubby wants to make me one.

Another question..How do you make an ironing board that works good with quilts..

Thanks so much..

Sewing table height depends on your height.

As for an ironing board, I used a piece of luann (a very light & cheap plywood) 2 x 4' and hubby nailed stoppers on the bottom of it that just fit over the point of a regular ironing board so that you can slide it back just enough that the point is left to sit the iron on.

I covered the luann with the thermal insulbright batting-shiny side up and covered the batting with an ugly piece of cotton plaid. Then I covered that with the teflon type ironing board fabric. The batting & fabric are just wrapped around to the back and stapled on.

I think we spent less than $20 on the entire project--much cheaper than a "real" big board. It's a little smaller than a "real" big board but if it was any larger, it would be harder to move it off & on. It takes up a lot of space so mine is usually leaning on a wall, out of the way until I need it.

I'll run downstairs and take pictures to attach.....

Front (top) side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41218[/ATTACH]

Back (bottom) side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41219[/ATTACH]

Ready to use
[ATTACH=CONFIG]41447[/ATTACH]

gailalter 05-04-2010 10:53 AM

Great job!

schwanton 05-04-2010 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by craftinggrandma
What should the height of a sewing machine table be. My hubby wants to make me one.

Another question..How do you make an ironing board that works good with quilts..

Thanks so much..

My sewing machine table is an adjustable height. It stands at 27-1/2" high. (I am 5'6"). It is the perfect height for a portable machine on top.

Jannie 05-04-2010 12:39 PM

I am to old fashioned & I still iron because I like the look of a smoother fabric. For me, it just seems finished with a good press even right out of the dryer.