Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Sewing machine table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/sewing-machine-table-t44817.html)

craftinggrandma 05-03-2010 12:48 PM

What should the height of a sewing machine table be. My hubby wants to make me one.

Another question..How do you make an ironing board that works good with quilts..

Thanks so much..

gailmitchell 05-03-2010 01:06 PM

My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.

seamstome 05-03-2010 01:16 PM

I think 29 inches or 29 1/2 inches is the standard.

Quilter7x 05-03-2010 01:27 PM

Standard tables are 30" tall. I think a good height for a sewing table is 27-28".

Marjpf 05-03-2010 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by gailmitchell
My hubby made me an ironing board something like the "Big Boards". The top is rectangle and measures about 22 x 60. I absolutely love it. Basically he made it out of a half a piece of plywood, and then put cleats on the under side so it would fit my traditional ironing board. I then covered it with a couple of layers of discount fabric.

Although when it comes time to iron an shirt, there's no pointy end for the sleeves. Oh, well.

My board is similar, but I had DH drill some holes in it so it wouldn't be so heavy.

sunlover 05-03-2010 01:55 PM

Who irons anymore? I hang my stuff the minute it comes out of the dryer and I never (rarely) iron anything anymore. Am I the only one?????????

amma 05-03-2010 02:04 PM

I would sit down at the table and measure the height that will be comfortable for you. I am short, so my needs/comfort is different from most :D:D:D

MadQuilter 05-03-2010 02:07 PM

I read somewhere that the height should be adjusted to the individual user. It's height from floor to arm-height (bent at a 90 degree angle) or a little lower. If it's higher, the sewer tends to pull up on the shoulders and tightening the muscles. ....and yes, my table is way too high. sigh

QuiltingGrannie 05-03-2010 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by sunlover

Who irons anymore? I hang my stuff the minute it comes out of the dryer and I never (rarely) iron anything anymore. Am I the only one?????????

I still iron some of my clothes. DH's shirts, my work pants, skirts, etc. Even when I pull them out of the dryer. I guess I'm the rare one who likes to iron.

IrishNY 05-03-2010 02:23 PM

Other than fabric for quilts or WIPs, I couldn't tell you the last time I ironed. And I'm glad. :D :D