Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I give a lap quilt to my new hairdresser? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-give-lap-quilt-my-new-hairdresser-t172204.html)

patmas57 12-16-2011 10:22 AM

I'm going to chime in with those who say go ahead and give her the quilt, but also don't just drop it off. Besides that it might just "disappear," leading to all sorts of grief, I think you won't want to miss the look in her eyes when she receives it from you. JMO

Mary M 12-16-2011 10:26 AM

Do what will makes you feel good. The quilts we have around us were meant to make others feel good...my opinion.
Some of us feel so wonderful when another apreciates the quilts we made. The world can use all the love we can give....and hope it is contagious.

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 4786008)
So you think it would be appropriate to give her a quilt? I've had people tell me that I shouldn't because it cost so much. So I don't know what to do. I really like her. I know she has no idea about how expensive quilts are and how much time it takes. I'm leaning toward giving her the quilt. I think I need to give her a Christmas gift since I'm going to be using her. And that's so cool that you got the crystal candy bowl. That is what is making me lean toward giving her the quilt.

MissSandra 12-16-2011 10:29 AM

I think it would be a beautiful gift! and why should she expect any thing next year yes we put alot of time and money into them, and to see the smile on someone face who totally did not expect it is a delight. if you like her so well and she does a great job what a perfect way to honor her.

cmw0829 12-16-2011 12:34 PM

I kind of have a different feeling.

Since she's only done your hair twice, she might feel it's a very extravagent gift. Might she be embarrassed? You know her, we don't, so do what you think is best. But if it were me, I might be inclined to give her a cash gift this year and then give her a quilt when you know her a little better, maybe for her or her child's birthday. I like the idea of a quilt for her child.

Kim T 12-16-2011 12:36 PM

I give some of my quilts just because it makes me feel good. The people who I have given to really appreciate them and I dont think they expect more later.

nhweaver 12-16-2011 12:58 PM

Wow, I wonder if she has any idea of the effort, time, love and $$ goes into a handmade quilt. Have the 2 of you discussed personally quilted items versus those you see in Walmart or Target? Giving such a personal gift to someone may strain the developing business relationship, also It may not match her color scheme, or it may be delegated to the back of the closet. Are you comfortable with continuing using her services if she didn't like your effort? A good hairdresser is hard to find, maybe this year $20 will do.

NannaL 12-16-2011 01:03 PM

Aubrey said " I don't have a quilt", I think that was only a comment- I would keep that in mind though, if she is still your hairdresser in say 3 years time give her a quilt. In the meantime make her a table topper or placemats if you think your quilst are to much. I'm sure she is not expecting anything from you.

deemail 12-16-2011 01:25 PM

i think it's inappropriate because it is expensive and she cannot reciprocate... you have a business relationship. if you really enjoy her company and want to take the friendship to another level, ask her if she wants to learn how to quilt...your knowledge and time is a gift, as well. if this doesn't seem like something you want to do, that's a clue to whether you should give a business contact an overly expensive gift. How do i know it's overly expensive? because you brought up the cost yourself ... look in your scraps... find 4 little blocks for a doll quilt for her daughter and do it all on the machine and quickly... no extra cost and still thoughtful and using what you already have.

nhweaver 12-16-2011 01:27 PM

I like the idea to make a doll quilt for her little girl, perfect gift for a new business associate.

Originally Posted by deemail (Post 4786835)
i think it's inappropriate because it is expensive and she cannot reciprocate... you have a business relationship. if you really enjoy her company and want to take the friendship to another level, ask her if she wants to learn how to quilt...your knowledge and time is a gift, as well. if this doesn't seem like something you want to do, that's a clue to whether you should give a business contact an overly expensive gift. How do i know it's overly expensive? because you brought up the cost yourself ... look in your scraps... find 4 little blocks for a doll quilt for her daughter and do it all on the machine and quickly... no extra cost and still thoughtful and using what you already have.

amandasgramma 12-16-2011 02:00 PM

I think it's a little early - it might make her uncomfortable and obviously you're uncomfortable or you wouldn't ask. How about a 25% off discount on any item she wants.......then be ready to give her prices for a table runner, mug rugs, lap quilt and queen quilt.
I've been going to my hairdresser for 7 yrs and would consider a quilt as a gift.............except she and I bartered...I don't pay for hair cuts/perms and I'm making her a quilt.......She'll have to do my hair for 20 yrs at the price she charges!!!!!