Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shout "Color Catcher" laundry sheets for Batiks ? ? ? ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shout-color-catcher-laundry-sheets-batiks-t227000.html)

quiltdolly 08-02-2013 03:50 AM

Yes I have used Color Catchers for years on almost every kind of fabric. I also use them when I wash new quilts for the first time. I do use only cold water and I have never had any trouble.

gramquilter2 08-02-2013 05:35 AM

I made a red and white Batik quilt and when finished I washed it using 2 Shout Color Catch sheets and put Retayne in the washer. The red did not bleed on to the white and the finished top looks great. Retayne is a color fixative used to stop the bleeding in fabrics.

tessagin 08-02-2013 05:40 AM

I need to put Synthropol on my list. I've never seen it but then again never looked for it. My DH tells me not to go snake hunting. But yet I'm not the one who got bit. That's a whole different story, sorry!

GrannySue 08-02-2013 05:42 AM

I do not prewash my fabrics and after I created a red, white, and blue quilt I was very concern thinking I should have prewashed. I used the color catchers (6 sheets) and was very happy with the results. The whites were just as white as before washing. Now I always wash the finished quilts with the color catchers with no worry about colors bleeding.

janice1120 08-02-2013 06:14 AM

Where do you purchase Synthropol and Retayne?

janeknapp 08-02-2013 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I put three Color Catcher sheets into a washer with 24 batik fat quarters (red, green, blue, purple, gold, brown) and washed them four times with Synthrapol in the wash each time. These are the sheet colors which resulted during those four washes from left to right #1-4. I would make sure that the person receiving a quilt with batiks knows to wash the quilt in cold water with Color Catcher sheets. That might be put on the label as washing instructions under the information included in labels.

wendiq 08-02-2013 07:43 AM

I use the Synthropol for my own new pieces and I always throw in a couple color catchers for any sewn pieces......I have also started giving a box of color catchers with any quilt I give away.....I watch and buy them on sale....:). This goes with any non-charity quilt.....I do usually include instructions to wash in only cold water too....

2blackcats 08-02-2013 09:01 AM

I had red and white fabric for a table runner. The color catcher caught all of the red and none bled onto the white. And the color catcher sheets came our red, not pink, red. However, the fabric was not a batik. I used the color catcher sheets on a black, white and red quilt. The red was a batik and it ran, the color catcher sheets did not catch the color. The red was only 2 inch squares in a D9P and maybe because it was so little and spread over the entire queen size quilt it didn't catch it. There was some red on the white in a few places. I'll never trust a batik again not to run and I will prewash all batiks.

IBQUILTIN 08-02-2013 09:07 AM

I use them, but more than 1 in the load. Yellow in Batiks seems to bleed the worst, and you know how many flower centers are yellow

Pennyhal 08-02-2013 09:22 AM

How much Synthropol do you put in a washing machine's tub? I've never been able to figure out the amount.