Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Shout "Color Catcher" laundry sheets for Batiks ? ? ? ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/shout-color-catcher-laundry-sheets-batiks-t227000.html)

Groovy Pieces 07-31-2013 09:10 PM

Shout "Color Catcher" laundry sheets for Batiks ? ? ? ?

Has anyone used this product for pre-washing batiks? Because batiks come from the lightest light to the darkest darks & my blocks are infused with these combinations, I need to know if the Shout Color Catcher laundry sheets would work to "catch" the dye in the washing process. When I make gifts, I usually pre-wash my fabrics, but this time, my project didn't come out like I wanted it to, so now I decided to re-purpose it into a Bedrunner/Pillowcase set.

Because I have decided to change idesa in mid-stream, can anyone give advice on the Shout Color Catchers for my Batik Crazy squares?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom. . . . . GP

cindi 08-01-2013 01:07 AM

I've used them on batik yardage without any problems, but I've never used it on premade blocks. You might be better off gently soaking them in a tub of water and laying the color catchers on top of the blocks. The blocks may fray and come apart in the washing machine.

ckcowl 08-01-2013 01:27 AM

color catchers do work/help- it is always best to separate (sort) your fabrics, wash lights with lights, darks with darks, reds separate from blues/greens ect. but the color catchers do work. if you can find it synthropol works too- it keeps dyes suspended in the water-keeping them from getting on other fabrics...it is important to follow the instructions that come with what ever product you choose to use for the best results (and batiks do not tend to fray very much- they are *generally* a tighter weave than other quilting cottons.

katier825 08-01-2013 02:07 AM

So glad someone invented them! I usually put a few color catchers in the wash with batiks, both yardage and finished quilts. Often they come out with very little color, but the last couple of times they came out with lots of color. I have done quilts with both light and dark batiks combined and they have come out great.

P-BurgKay 08-01-2013 03:44 AM

I have a red and white quilt, not batiks though, and I made this quilt for a table cloth, and I wash it all the time with color catchers, they always come out pink, but my white is the whitest white ever.

Lori S 08-01-2013 03:49 AM

If you want to be sure no bleed will tint the other fabrics, use Synthropol .

homebody323 08-01-2013 03:53 AM

The color catchers are just wonderful. I hope the problem will be resolved before you give it as a gift. Are you going to use the batik for the body of the pillowcase? My first thought was ouch. All my batiks are a bit too tough for my skin. I'm very fussy about bedding. Perhaps you meant for them to be just pretties and not to sleep on. My mistake if you did.

soccertxi 08-01-2013 05:51 AM

yes, they work wonderfully. I am like you and prewash my fabric. I had made a quilt for my son, mostly whites and creams with dark blues and a very dark blue batik border. I prewashed the border with color catcherS and they came out almost navy blue! If this happens to you, WASH IT AGAIN! I must have missed a white or two and the blue still dumped dye on the white! It was not dark, and my son thought it was supposed to be that way, but I was upset. Use Synthropol, rewash till you are happy, but don't use it until you are! ( am sure you wont have this problem...but beware!)

I'm with homebody on this. I just made a jacket with batiks. It was supposed to be a bit 'flowy'...and its stiff. Are you sure you want batiks next to your face? How about just a bed runner with a nice soft flannel or minkee backing?

tessagin 08-01-2013 06:02 AM

I use them on Batiks of any size. For smaller sizes I use the lingerie bags. just for good measure I use the color catchers all the time. Even on older fabrics purchased from garage/estate sales. They also help absorb old odors along with using ARm and Hammer soap and vinegar and ammonia. Cuts the oil from the perfumes and helps eliminate the deodorant stains from the underarms of old shirts and blouses.

Silver Needle 08-01-2013 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 6208273)
If you want to be sure no bleed will tint the other fabrics, use Synthropol .

I pre-wash most fabrics with Synthropol before using.