Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shout "Color Catcher" laundry sheets for Batiks ? ? ? ?

Shout "Color Catcher" laundry sheets for Batiks ? ? ? ?

Has anyone used this product for pre-washing batiks? Because batiks come from the lightest light to the darkest darks & my blocks are infused with these combinations, I need to know if the Shout Color Catcher laundry sheets would work to "catch" the dye in the washing process. When I make gifts, I usually pre-wash my fabrics, but this time, my project didn't come out like I wanted it to, so now I decided to re-purpose it into a Bedrunner/Pillowcase set.

Because I have decided to change idesa in mid-stream, can anyone give advice on the Shout Color Catchers for my Batik Crazy squares?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom. . . . . GP
    Create A Great Day ! ! ! !
    MQB-3 / RAB-2 / Booms 11 & 13 / Projects
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members/groovy-pieces-u129541-albums.html

I've used them on batik yardage without any problems, but I've never used it on premade blocks. You might be better off gently soaking them in a tub of water and laying the color catchers on top of the blocks. The blocks may fray and come apart in the washing machine.

Blog Entries
    color catchers do work/help- it is always best to separate (sort) your fabrics, wash lights with lights, darks with darks, reds separate from blues/greens ect. but the color catchers do work. if you can find it synthropol works too- it keeps dyes suspended in the water-keeping them from getting on other fabrics...it is important to follow the instructions that come with what ever product you choose to use for the best results (and batiks do not tend to fray very much- they are *generally* a tighter weave than other quilting cottons.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    So glad someone invented them! I usually put a few color catchers in the wash with batiks, both yardage and finished quilts. Often they come out with very little color, but the last couple of times they came out with lots of color. I have done quilts with both light and dark batiks combined and they have come out great.

I have a red and white quilt, not batiks though, and I made this quilt for a table cloth, and I wash it all the time with color catchers, they always come out pink, but my white is the whitest white ever.

If you want to be sure no bleed will tint the other fabrics, use Synthropol .

Blog Entries
    The color catchers are just wonderful. I hope the problem will be resolved before you give it as a gift. Are you going to use the batik for the body of the pillowcase? My first thought was ouch. All my batiks are a bit too tough for my skin. I'm very fussy about bedding. Perhaps you meant for them to be just pretties and not to sleep on. My mistake if you did.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

yes, they work wonderfully. I am like you and prewash my fabric. I had made a quilt for my son, mostly whites and creams with dark blues and a very dark blue batik border. I prewashed the border with color catcherS and they came out almost navy blue! If this happens to you, WASH IT AGAIN! I must have missed a white or two and the blue still dumped dye on the white! It was not dark, and my son thought it was supposed to be that way, but I was upset. Use Synthropol, rewash till you are happy, but don't use it until you are! ( am sure you wont have this problem...but beware!)

I'm with homebody on this. I just made a jacket with batiks. It was supposed to be a bit 'flowy'...and its stiff. Are you sure you want batiks next to your face? How about just a bed runner with a nice soft flannel or minkee backing?

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I use them on Batiks of any size. For smaller sizes I use the lingerie bags. just for good measure I use the color catchers all the time. Even on older fabrics purchased from garage/estate sales. They also help absorb old odors along with using ARm and Hammer soap and vinegar and ammonia. Cuts the oil from the perfumes and helps eliminate the deodorant stains from the underarms of old shirts and blouses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
    If you want to be sure no bleed will tint the other fabrics, use Synthropol .
    I pre-wash most fabrics with Synthropol before using.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I use Synthropol when washing fabrics and my quilts when finished. I used Synthropol when washing my kids jeans too. I use a color catcher in every load of laundry, even my all whites.
    Got fabric?

I read on another post about HE washing machines, that you should pin the Shount sheet to a larger piece of fabric to prevent it from being sucked in the the drain hose.

I have used both color catchers and Synthropol.

Love the colorcatchers - I use them only for quilting as normal wash I separate colors and 'blend' a little over time hehehe.

I love to use batiks as they are so nicely woven that they won't fray and hold their place when ironed, so light and soft they seem to float on the finished quilt, and a lot of times different colors 'do no harm' when placed adjacent as they are so blended to start with, unlike typical white-background cotton prints.
    SueSew
    "If it's messy, eat it over the sink!" Mom

I prewash all fabrics- not just batiks. I purchased a batik quilt top and had it quilted, then gifted. Was advised to wash it with Retayne and color catchers. It hasn't been washed yet though. I use2-3 color catchers when washing new fabrics, and rewash if any color shows Before drying. Will be watching this thread!
    I haven't had any trouble with name brand batiks being too stiff or scratchy esp after a few washes, but I haven't used them for pillowcases.

Blog Entries
    I thought Retayne is for the dyer to use to set the dye and Synthropol is to keep any extra dye from transferring.
    Got fabric?

I use them on batik yardage after I have the whole quilt completed!...I never prewash my fabric and it catches the color well and the fabrics don't bleed on each other. Please note that I use 3 sheets for a large lap quilt and only wash in cold water.
    So many quilts, so little time :-)

I put the color catchers in the lingerie bags in my HE washer and that does the trick. I also use color catchers anytime I wash fabric or any colored clothing and "almost" always have a tinge of color or totally full of color on the color catchers. Now, I know I have seen others say "use them only once" well, after I put them through a wash cycle, I lay them out on the top of the washer or hang them on a clothes hanger to dry out and then I use them again. They do collect color on the second or even a third use. Just saving money for "more" fabric. My 2 cents.
    Busy in Ohio

For Australian quilters, you can buy Colour Catcher in Woolworths and Coles:

http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/...ockcode=355358

I've never noticed it in the laundry aisles before and was glad to find it today when I was shopping.
    ~: Ron :~

"You cut up fabric then sew it back together again? Really?"

I do not pre wash fabrics so I use lots of color catchers with finished quilts - that's the secret. One isn't enough. I generally use 5-6. I just finished a triple irish chain in batiks and the whites with the shine to them? Not a drop of stain and I will always wash with the color catchers.
    Judi in Ohio

Yes I have used Color Catchers for years on almost every kind of fabric. I also use them when I wash new quilts for the first time. I do use only cold water and I have never had any trouble.

I made a red and white Batik quilt and when finished I washed it using 2 Shout Color Catch sheets and put Retayne in the washer. The red did not bleed on to the white and the finished top looks great. Retayne is a color fixative used to stop the bleeding in fabrics.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I need to put Synthropol on my list. I've never seen it but then again never looked for it. My DH tells me not to go snake hunting. But yet I'm not the one who got bit. That's a whole different story, sorry!

Blog Entries
    I do not prewash my fabrics and after I created a red, white, and blue quilt I was very concern thinking I should have prewashed. I used the color catchers (6 sheets) and was very happy with the results. The whites were just as white as before washing. Now I always wash the finished quilts with the color catchers with no worry about colors bleeding.

Where do you purchase Synthropol and Retayne?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast