Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Show Us Your Quilts Using Muslin! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/show-us-your-quilts-using-muslin-t214009.html)

luvstoquilt 02-18-2013 07:01 AM

Hi Suz...I haven't but I would try if I had some! My new LQS hand dyes fabrics and they are $3.99 a fat quarter! I am now thinking I should try that with some of my muslin. I am not sure how to get that Batik look but think I will ask at the shop how she does that. I love all of the quilts and I have to say sewing with muslin is really nice. I have used it on the front as well as on the backs just never used the bleached...now I intend to do that! Years ago the choice our moms had for sheets were Percale or Muslin. Thanks Krystyna for this lesson in muslin...I have learned a lot on this board...it is such fun to keep learning!

piecNpat 02-18-2013 07:31 AM

I have used perma-pressed muslin for the background for applique and also for piecing and it works up really nicely.

ccthomas 02-18-2013 07:51 AM

All these quilts are beautiful.

Emma S 02-18-2013 08:50 AM

Yet another valuable piece of information. Thank you everyone for sharing.

Caswews 02-18-2013 08:51 AM

I love to use muslin as a backing; just in Baby blankets I use flannel, fleece or Minky ...

tenngal 02-18-2013 09:35 AM

Wow - who knew!! I ll be working on one of these.

Dragonomine 02-18-2013 09:54 AM

All of my quilts in my album are made with white muslin. Check them out. :)

jeanharville 02-18-2013 11:04 AM

Thanks for asking the question and I have a couple also. What is the difference between bleached and unbleached? whiteness or texture? Was the older muslin more like feed sack fabric? or was it softer then?

Daphne, that quilt is stunning. It's hard to imagine you were able to create such an intricate quilt when you were first quilting. And doing it the old fashion way. WOW!

Thanks to all of you who have shown your beautiful quilts. It is inspiring to see such nice work. I really like the muslin.

Daffy Daphne 02-18-2013 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 5870467)
Thanks for asking the question and I have a couple also. What is the difference between bleached and unbleached? whiteness or texture? Was the older muslin more like feed sack fabric? or was it softer then?

Daphne, that quilt is stunning. It's hard to imagine you were able to create such an intricate quilt when you were first quilting. And doing it the old fashion way. WOW!

Thanks to all of you who have shown your beautiful quilts. It is inspiring to see such nice work. I really like the muslin.

Thank you, jeanharville, and others for the nice words about my quilt. It took me several years to make because I worked a 9 to 5 at the time. Wanting to hang it in our guild quilt show was the final push to finish it.

Yes, the difference between bleached and unbleached muslin is the whiteness. My daughter who asked for the quilt said she wanted white and bright colors. At that time there wasn't anywhere nearby to buy quilt fabrics, so I ordered the muslin from Keepsake Quilting, 14 yards I believe.

All the quilts on this thread are beautiful. Bobbielinks' quilt on the first page especially is calling to me.

Aria 02-18-2013 11:21 AM

Beautiful!!