Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Show Us Your Quilts Using Muslin! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/show-us-your-quilts-using-muslin-t214009.html)

Shazeeda 02-18-2013 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made this lap quilt years ago with muslin and scraps, and cotton batting.[ATTACH=CONFIG]396090[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 02-18-2013 11:35 AM

This may be a silly question, but don't you all worry that the muslin will wear out and tear up before the other fabrics do?

Very pretty quilts, all...

wraez 02-18-2013 11:37 AM

Fabulous quilts! Muslin comes in a variety of qualities and prices, are these the best muslins? So far the only muslin I have used is the cheapest, to use as foundation for foundation string blocks etc.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm enjoying it and will bookmark to keep up ...

quiltymom 02-18-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Snooze2978 (Post 5869758)
As to the use of muslin, has anyone used permapress muslin in their quilts? Reason I ask, I have a whole bolt of it and just wondered if I could use it for my quilts.

Thanks for any advice.

Suz in Iowa

I haven't but when I worked at JoAnns the gal I worked with did all the time!!!!

Lilrain 02-18-2013 11:58 AM

I don't use muslin except bleached for signature blocks. I may have to rethink my distaste for it after seeing these beautiful quilts!

MissQuilter 02-18-2013 12:00 PM

This may be a silly question, but don't you all worry that the muslin will wear out and tear up before the other fabrics do?

Very pretty quilts, all...

I have quilts with muslin in them that have held up for decades. And early on, some of that was not really good muslin that I purchase now. Historically, muslin was a basic in many many quilts!

jcrow 02-18-2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396104[/ATTACH]

This quilt was partially made by my late sister and finished by me. It's a one of a kind. The only quilt the two of us made together. Has very special meaning to me. The back is pure muslin. It is 8 rows across but this was the clearest picture I could find. It has a home with my daughter now.

dhanke 02-18-2013 12:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used a nice weight, creamy colored muslin from JoAnn's as the background for this quilt. I made it for my Granddaughters wedding in December.

KLTQuilts 02-18-2013 12:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]396106[/ATTACH]
I used muslin for the blocks on this quilt - it was our grandson's B'day (11th) gift last year. He uses the quilt all the time - each time we visit I check to see how it's holding up and so far it has great wearability :thumbup: I wouldn't hesitate to use it again in another quilt . . .

ShabbyTabby 02-18-2013 01:27 PM

I am sooooo happy to find that a lot of you use muslin!! I use it a lot because of the cost factor and besides I think it's a nice background for any color or print. I was a little hesitant to disclose my frugal side, but now feel better about my "muslin" laced quilts. Also glad to know about the backing as at the price of fabric now it's really hard to cough up $30 or so for just the backing!