Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Since I've Become A Quilter... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/since-ive-become-quilter-t76694.html)

colwoods 11-17-2010 03:37 PM

You've mentioned them all but one. Since I became a quilter my husband has lost his vision completely - only sees light. As bad as that is, there's a good side. He can't see if I don't have on make-up or still have on pjs, he can't see when I bring in more fabric, he doessn't see the dust or the crumbs on the floor, and doesn't see the mess in the sewing room (otherwise known as the fabric storeroom). I now sew on the dining room table so I can see him and be near when he needs sometning. Because he can't be alone (dementia)I don't get to go shopping often and that saves money. However, I am getting a lot of sewing done.

MiMi in Lutz 11-17-2010 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lynnejean
Since i became a quilter I think paying more than $4 a yard for fabric is fine.You would have never seen me pay 8 or 10 dollars a yard before quilting.

Since I became a quilter I think its okay to have more than one project going at the same time. I was always a finish one project before staring another before.

Since I became a quilter I think everyone needs a quilt no matter what their age is because how could anyone live without one.

Ditto!!!

since I became a quilter having tons of fabric in the closet is a neccessity not hoarding.

pheasantduster 11-17-2010 03:59 PM

Since I renewed my quilting habit - and found this wonderful web site - I have a perfect "retirement" activity. Just turned over my first Project Linus quilt - hard to have it leave my hands as I will not know who receives it but I know it will be loved as it was made with love tucked inside. Can't stop working on my second Linus quilt.

BMP 11-17-2010 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by chickadeee55
Since becoming a quilter: I find myself taking designs apart in sections, to see if I can recreate it in a quilt pattern.

LOL LOL I have been known to do the same thing!!

QuiltswithConvicts 11-17-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Since I've become a quilter, I have discovered that one machine is no longer enough! (I just got my eighth today, an HQ Sweet Sixteen) I am off to find out if it lights up when I switch it on!

It's here? Congratulations!!!!!!! Have a barrel of fun getting to know her! I am so jealous!

tjradj 11-17-2010 04:45 PM

Since I became a quilter...
My son thinks the TV always has that "sewing machine" sound on it.
We eat a lot of "overdone" dinners, mostly the all-in-one pot oven dinners.
I balance my chequebook around my quilting budget.
More friends are asking "can you fix this?" like coat zippers....
My son has learned that a side trip to a fabric store means "bring a book"
My dining room table is my cutting/sewing/measuring station, complete with boxes of "stash" stacked beside it.
My mother knows to phone before she comes over.
I have evicted my son from half of the basement to put in a 10' quilting frame.
Three grand for a sewing machine sounds reasonable!
I'm not afraid to adjust my machine tension anymore.
I've learned that "show and tell" isn't just for Kindergarten anymore!!!

mzsooz 11-17-2010 04:53 PM

Since I've become a quilter...

I almost never cook a meal

my house is never clean

I'm boring to visit with because that is all I talk about

I make all my gifts for giving

my sewing room is finally organized

I see quilt designs in everything...floor tiles, sunsets, etc :D

drgranny 11-17-2010 04:55 PM

Since I started quilting I have had to get a part time job to be able to afford..............what else? more fabric!!!

Since I started quilting I have added a longarm machine to my collection.

I already had machines in the commercial class, serger, blindstitch, bartack, walking foot upholstery machine, old Singer straight stitch. Machines in the home sewing class, 1 kenmore, 1 Montgomety ward, 1 bernina, 1 treadle, 1 feather weight, 1 janome.

penski 11-17-2010 05:39 PM

since i have become a quilter....

Dinner has gotten later and later,and more quick meals
i would rather hang out at the fabric stores than Kohls
i get all excited when i meet someone else that quilts
and i can spend hours at this website instaed of doing much needed housework !!

Pzazz 11-17-2010 05:59 PM

This has been such a wonderful thread to read!!

Since I started quilting I...
*am much more relaxed about almost everything else in my life.
*have "virtually" met so many wonderful people on this board.
*have relearned the joy of show & tell.
*have learned something new almost daily.
*have started a quilt group that meets monthly.
*get much joy from giving gifts to friends and family of things I have made.
*no longer worry about my messy house if we have unexpected guests. :)

We quilters really are very blessed people with so much richness brought into our lives because of this wonderful craft we have in common.

Patti