Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small "Sleeve size" Ironing boards...does any one use them (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-%22sleeve-size%22-ironing-boards-does-any-one-use-them-t162374.html)

SueSew 10-23-2011 07:10 AM

I've still got one from my MIL. She taught me real dressmaking - she made coats with interlining and satin linings and all the Vogue patterns. I kept hers but I haven't figured out how to use it for quilting - one of the little press and cut pads is better. But it was great for making clothing and -in the old days, ironing!

shrabar 10-23-2011 07:21 AM

I use mine just made a new over for it . I use it a lot

Kathy Osterby 10-23-2011 07:59 AM

I used mine all the time when I made American Girl and Bitty Baby doll clothes. Also on small quilt blocks before I got an ironing board that fits over the closet door.

dottientx 10-23-2011 08:09 AM

I have two sleeve boards and use one of them all the time. One is always 'ready' beside me when piecing a quilt top. I have it sitting on a small table beside me while I'm sitting at the SM. I'll stitch a bit then press a bit in the construction part. One is always set up on my assembly table where I lay out my quilt pieces. I seldom use my regular sized ironing boards other than when pressing things as they come out of the dryer - if needed. The sleeve boards are so handy to be used anywhere I might be working.

JCL in FL 10-23-2011 08:12 AM

I have one that is with my regular ironing board and I use it on occasion but not for quilting purposes. It is attached to my larger board. I bought a wooden TV tray table and put batting and fabric and stapled it to it's top and I use that for the small ironing of pieces. It works great, when it get yucky, pull out the staples and replace the fabric wala...new board.

oksewglad 10-23-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I have the collapsible one and it's covered in the same covering as the Steady Betty! I bought it years ago from a mens tailoring shop that was going out of business. Also several sizes of hams, a nap board, and a great wooden clapper. I use the clapper in quilting to flatten seams. Everything fits on the rack underneath my ironing board so they are handy if I need to use them.

You know I hadn't used my clapper in years and the other day had some seams that didn't want to play nice. I used the clapper and now will be using it all the time :-) . Sometimes use a small tack hammer on a reluctant seam joining, too. I learned that trick when sewing denim jeans for my kids years ago.

MarySews 10-23-2011 10:30 AM

I am guessing that no one does tailoring anymore -- sewing with wool, I think it is essential.

grandjan 10-23-2011 11:34 AM

I've still got mine because I still, very occasionally, do some garment sewing but I've never found a use for it in quilting. Maybe if you were quilting a bag or something?

madamekelly 10-23-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by bjeriann
I used my all the time when I did heirloom sewing. But I haven't got it out in a few years. Can't think of a reason to use it in quilting. I have the hams and roll thing too.

I use my 'roll thing' (what do they call them?) for seams. Makes them nice and flat.

Ramona Byrd 10-23-2011 11:35 AM

I have a wall insert fall down ironing board, (folds up into the wall and has a door that hides it ) and above it in the cavity is a sleeve ironing board. Some times jacket sleeves get wrinkled and I don't want to pay for an entire cleaning bill for the whole jacket...it stays up with a piece of 2 inch elastic, which suggests to me that it was did not come with the ironing board.