Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Small "Sleeve size" Ironing boards...does any one use them (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/small-%22sleeve-size%22-ironing-boards-does-any-one-use-them-t162374.html)

fien777 10-23-2011 12:39 PM

I have one, that I used a lot while sewing my blocks, so I didn't need to get my regular big board out.As it stays out for days and days when I'm quilting:roll: .
But then I discovered the sewingboard in Ikea that is inbetween the small and the regular board...and now I use that one all the time

auniqueview 10-23-2011 12:54 PM

I wish I had one, for making bags, and will buy one if I see one at a yard sale. I have a small ironing board I keep on my chest for small stuff, but it's just not small enough.

Lately I keep thinking about a REALLY USELESS ITEM, lol. Anyone ever use curtain stretcher? My grandmother used to have me help her put the curtains on the stretchers with her. Oh, how many times I stuck myself on those tacks. And I keep thinking about those things lately. Maybe I am getting senile....or wistful?

Olivia's Grammy 10-23-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
I wish I had one, for making bags, and will buy one if I see one at a yard sale. I have a small ironing board I keep on my chest for small stuff, but it's just not small enough.

Lately I keep thinking about a REALLY USELESS ITEM, lol. Anyone ever use curtain stretcher? My grandmother used to have me help her put the curtains on the stretchers with her. Oh, how many times I stuck myself on those tacks. And I keep thinking about those things lately. Maybe I am getting senile....or wistful?

How about pant hangers? You know the ones you put inside the legs so the pants dried with a crease.

butterflywing 10-23-2011 02:43 PM

i have all my tailoring pressing things because i still garment sew. if you have space for it and already own something, then why not keep it? after all, you don't have to feed it. :lol:

msquiltalot 10-23-2011 02:49 PM

I use mine when I have a block that has many interlocking seams and I need to seam them into submission without steaming the rest of the block. Also, when I need to press a seam open for easier quilting.

alices 10-23-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees

Originally Posted by IAmCatOwned
My sister uses one because she makes doll clothes. I borrow it from her when making shirts for my Mom, but otherwise, never use one.

ah....doll clothes, now thats a good thought

Can't imagine any other reason to use one.

KS quilter 10-23-2011 04:00 PM

I have a two-sided sleeve board (collapses) and also a sewing ham. Don't use it often but when I do want it, am so
glad it is here. Actually I never thought of using it for
ironing seams in a block...may have to try that.

Marni 10-23-2011 04:18 PM

I use mine a few times a year-just comes in handy once in a while

pdriggs 10-23-2011 04:20 PM

I can't think of many uses in quilting, but I use it almost any time I sew a garment.

Drue 10-23-2011 04:31 PM

I use mine very often... I also do garment sewing and it comes in very handy for pressing seams on sleeves and collars and etc. My sweet daddy hand made me one for my birthday in 1981 and it's beautiful and I treasure it. My DH made me an 18"x18" board that sits over the top of my antique ironing board for pressing quilt blocks or applique' blocks...fortunately, all I have to do with DH is suggest I would like to have such and such and it he can build it out of wood, he does...LOL He's a treasure and took up where my daddy left off. The next thing I want is the rotating circle (lazy-susan type) cutting board...I think it's in the works now!