Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Square Quilt Pieces (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/square-quilt-pieces-t18703.html)

shaverg 04-08-2009 08:17 PM

I can't imagine tearing knitted fabric. I have only torn cotton. I know polyester, wool, etc has to be cut.

chairjogger 04-08-2009 08:20 PM

In the 1960's the material places used to rip our cloth at the amount we wanted. Today, with the new fabrics.. stretch is involved. I would not rip for fear of distorting the fabric.

Just me. I agree with others. Can not beat the roto like a pizza cutter tool !!

Good luck.
Ellen

omak 04-08-2009 08:23 PM

GREAT POINT!
No such thing as tearing any knitted or felted fabric ... if you could even manage to do it, it would tear horribly crooked ...
woven fabric is the key, I guess, eh?

butterflywing 04-10-2009 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Tippy
I have shopped at fabric stores that tear yardages exclusively..and I won't shop at those any more. I know it tears straight on the grain of the fabric, but it just goes against my grain. I bought fake fur at a place that insisted on tearing it... I was left with 3" of unusable fabric because it stretched the knitted backing and distorted it horribly.. just my preference.

i agree. it tears straight on the lengthwise grain, but not always on the cross grain. and you cannot force it into square no matter what you do. first washing or wetting, it's right back to off-grain on the crossgrain. i always request cutting and if they won't i can't shop there. too much wastage. that's why you always have to square up fabric on the cutting mat before you start measuring. to get rid of that crooked edge.

omak 04-10-2009 08:00 AM

I have to rethink something here ....
Is the cross grain going from selvedge to selvedge?
And, which is the grain that is the strongest?

butterflywing 04-10-2009 12:18 PM

the crossgrain goes from selvedge to selvedge.

the crossgrain has stretch in it. that is, if you pull on it and then relax it, it will 'bounce' back into shape. the lengthwise grain has no stretch and i find is easier to rip..

omak 04-10-2009 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
the crossgrain goes from selvedge to selvedge.

the crossgrain has stretch in it. that is, if you pull on it and then relax it, it will 'bounce' back into shape. the lengthwise grain has no stretch and i find is easier to rip..

Well, that would certainly explain why my ripping the fabric for my backing didn't tear straight. Thank you for explaining that for me. Tear parallel to the selvedge, but tearing from selvedge to selvedge will cause the fabric to be more wonky. Works for me! Thank you!

QuiltMania 04-10-2009 02:49 PM

As far as I know, they will not be square.

MadQuilter 04-10-2009 09:00 PM

I actually did a little test because of this tread and ripped the long borders for my latest quilt rather than cutting them. I must admit that the pieces were straight BUT there was a lot of raveling and a lot of annoying strings hanging around. Next time, I'll go back to cutting.

jbud2 04-11-2009 05:26 AM

I was with my sister when she bought a lot of wool, some big pieces, some small pieces. She is a rughooker. The shopowner ripped the wool, and I was surprised it even ripped! But both ladies said that is how they always do their wool!