Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting a quilting life late in life...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-quilting-life-late-life-t267539.html)

carolynjo 07-14-2015 01:56 PM

Enjoy every minute of the journey. For the last 2.5 years (after back surgery and open heart surgery) I have not been able to quilt much. Thankfully, I have now found a remedy for my pain and am sewing and quilting again. I will be 80 next birthday and hope for many more. (How did I get to be that age so quickly?)

quiltingbuddy 07-14-2015 03:12 PM

Wow, all you ladies are amazing. I'm enjoying reading your stories and find them very inspiring as I am on the younger side I guess. I'm 56 and have been quilting over 20 years. I've been in a few quilting groups and have almost always been the "baby." I'm not in any small groups currently so I hang out here when I'm not working or in my sewing room. I don't think age is what matters as much as doing what we enjoy. It would be a long dreary life if we didn't have things that make us happy. I've made quite a few quilts and have loved every one. I expect to quilt many more before I am finished on this earth and am glad to have ladies like you to share the fun with. Thanks for sharing your stories everyone. I hope to live a long quilterly life as many of you are.

gigi712 07-14-2015 03:23 PM

WOW!...... I've been gone all afternoon and to get back to this thread has been a huge blessing for me. Thank you one and all for sharing all the wonderful stories of inspiration. I truly feel like a new woman, ok, not new but much better than when I started this thread. A big heartfelt thank you to every one of you!

I've been stalled on a biiiiig quilt I'm working on, so I think I'll ask a few questions and get back in the sewing saddle. Yeeeee Haawwwww! After all I am from Texas, doncha know? ........ :)

IBQUILTIN 07-14-2015 07:57 PM

I too am "over the hill", but there was never a hill in front of me I couldn't climb. I take my quilts one a ta time and enjoy the process from choosing color to pressing to cutting, etc. It is fun and a wonderful journey

2manyhobbies 07-15-2015 04:12 AM

It's never too late to start a hobby. Look at Grandma Moses!

quilttiger 07-15-2015 04:17 AM

At age of 58, I took my first quilting class, and I have been quilting ever since. I did do a few simple things before then, but it's been a joy and I m still at it at the age of 73 and intend to keep going! It is not too late.....

Iraxy 07-15-2015 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 7255777)
that's what I did and there are many challenges to overcome, but that's half the fun. The part that bothers me is there's so many quilts I want to make and I'm so slooooow, not sure I'll get them done. So, I've decided to do my favorites first and go from there.

Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe if we all row together, we'll get there, lol.

The old Frank Sinatra song "The good life" applies here.
I have told my friends that I am going to make only quilts that I want to make and that there are too many quilts and so little time so I am going to skip making a masterpiece. Just make what I want to make. They are urging me to go on and start but I am resisting. Maybe I will drop my friends. :) Sounds like a question for Dear Abby. Actually, do what you want to do. It is still your life isn't it?

sparkys_mom 07-15-2015 04:39 AM

I guess I was about 68 (I'll be 76 in September) when I started quilting. I've truly enjoyed itf and the quilts I like to make now are totally different than the ones I started with so don't worry about that 'bucket list' ... just go with the flow and enjoy each day and each quilt.

Pete 07-15-2015 05:28 AM

I started at age 66 and I have so many UFOs, WIPs, and PIGS and I am still buying!!!! Welcome to the club.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-15-2015 05:28 AM

Don't let the fact that you are older get in the way of enjoying your life and thinking about the quilting you won't get done. I firmly believe that there is a huge room in heaven just waiting for me and it is full of fabric, machines and the best teachers ever. I believe you are right about doing your favorites first and enjoying them. I do the same thing, I even went out and bought some of my favorite quilts (all vintage styles) so if I don't get to making them myself, I still get to enjoy them. Have fun with your life and enjoy it.