Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Starting a quilting life late in life...... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/starting-quilting-life-late-life-t267539.html)

alleyoop1 07-15-2015 05:36 AM

There are more quilts than any of us have time to make. I have a quilt bucket list but I'll never get to all of them. But it's fun to plan, and dream and look at other quilts.

Mamia 07-15-2015 05:38 AM

I'm in that same boat but in the last 5 years I have accomplished so much and have so enjoyed each day. I have so much more I would like to do and God willing I will have time to enjoy more. I'm always finding more lovely quilts I would like to do on this board so know that I will never get them all done but that's alright I take one day at a time and do the best I can.<object type="cosymantecnisbfw" cotype="cs" id="SILOBFWOBJECTID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;"></object>

newbee3 07-15-2015 07:14 AM

none of us knows how much time we have so just go with it make the quilts you want to make and enjoy the process and don't worry about how long it takes

ELDRED 07-15-2015 08:34 AM

Hi, I started at 60-sewn all my life - plus numerous arts and crafts -and then there WAS QUILTNG -wanted to try every technique-what to do ????? DOLL QUILTS-this did the trick -I love applique love love love it- so maybe you can try this.

mumzer 07-15-2015 09:15 AM

72 this year and will never be able to make everything on my save list so picking patterns and making a block or 4 to see if I can do and if I like it. It is hard as so many new blocks are popping up or easier ways to do the old. Have made a few larger quilts but have decided to make baby and smaller quilts for children then send them all to hospital. Every once in a while I make a lap quilt for a veteran.

Mgrubbs 07-15-2015 11:23 AM

I agree with all of you---make the most of every day you have, whatever your age--just enjoy it! "Can't never did anything" was a quote of my moms". If you want to quilt, get busy! Time will take care of you later!!

needles3thread 07-15-2015 11:47 AM

loved reading all these comments............makes me proud to be a quilter.

Iowa Grandma 07-15-2015 03:42 PM

I started quilting after I retired, took a series of five lessons and took off from there. Yes, you will make mistakes and the seam ripper will be your best friend. But one day you will wake up and the cutting directions are no longer foreign and your quarter inch seam is actually pretty darn close to a quarter inch. Keep at it. I have never had a hobby I enjoy as much as quilting and have gotten a daughter-in-law and granddaughter involved in it too. Keep at it.

janjj 07-15-2015 07:44 PM

I also say "enjoy the journey" I read a quote that says
Life is not a destination, but a journey. Enjoy the journey'!!

I too began quilting 3 years ago. Have chosen much material so I better have quite a few years in which to use it .
our churches had a roller skating party and I did attend. I stayed upright! then took my grand kids skating. I used to skate 3-4 times a week. I also picked up a hula hoop a few days ago.. Can keep it up but get tired and heed to stop.

So keep doing new things.

Sandi 07-15-2015 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by gigi712 (Post 7255777)
that's what I did and there are many challenges to overcome, but that's half the fun. The part that bothers me is there's so many quilts I want to make and I'm so slooooow, not sure I'll get them done. So, I've decided to do my favorites first and go from there.

Anybody else in the same boat? Maybe if we all row together, we'll get there, lol.

Yes I started late in life too/ have been doing more since I retired- I'm glad to have this passionate hobby after all the years of work. It is do versatile. Varied and satisfying