Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Strange Occurance with Design Wall (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/strange-occurance-design-wall-t147767.html)

heyjami 08-25-2011 12:05 PM

Great idea! Plus, it will release some tension for the quilter!

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Has anyone every used a hammer to flatten seams? I have a small tack hammer that works great to reduce bulk! Try it.

QKO 08-25-2011 12:07 PM

It may be that the flannel you're trying to use is somewhat directional in terms of the way it's fibers are oriented. Try turning it 90 or 180 degrees to see if it works better that way.

heyjami 08-25-2011 12:24 PM

Oh you ladies are SO SMART!

Originally Posted by QKO
It may be that the flannel you're trying to use is somewhat directional in terms of the way it's fibers are oriented. Try turning it 90 or 180 degrees to see if it works better that way.

QKO 08-25-2011 12:37 PM

I'm a guy, but thanks anyway. :mrgreen:

Happy it worked out for you! :thumbup:

heyjami 08-25-2011 12:42 PM

doh!
Ok, you guys are SUPER SMART!
:-)

Originally Posted by QKO
I'm a guy, but thanks anyway. :mrgreen:

Happy it worked out for you! :thumbup:

grammy17 08-25-2011 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
YOu need to smooth the ENTIRE block onto the blanket. You can't just 'place' a larger block on the wall, like you can with smaller blocks or pieces. I just put a partly pieced quarter of a throw, like 24X36. I smoothed the whole thing on and it stuck OK.

I've got a queen size quilt up there by smoothing.

QuiltE 08-25-2011 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'd return it and get a piece of fleece. I have 24 by 24 blocks sticking nicely to mine right now. My granddaugher used the back of an old piece of tablecloth vinyl from JoAnn's and it held her whole quilt.

I use fleece as well .... and have a 7-1/2ft x 10 ft wall ... fleece is flat on the wall.

I have hung fully pieced full sized quilts on the "fuzzy" design wall ... and they have stayed put for weeks on end!! Just need to smooth on with your hand and they stick.

grammy17 08-25-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE

Originally Posted by irishrose
I'd return it and get a piece of fleece. I have 24 by 24 blocks sticking nicely to mine right now. My granddaugher used the back of an old piece of tablecloth vinyl from JoAnn's and it held her whole quilt.

I use fleece as well .... and have a 7-1/2ft x 10 ft wall ... fleece is flat on the wall.

I have hung fully pieced full sized quilts on the "fuzzy" design wall ... and they have stayed put for weeks on end!! Just need to smooth on with your hand and they stick.

I didn't think of it when I responded last but mine is an old flanel lined vinyl tablecloth.

Becka 08-25-2011 01:12 PM

I use the fuzzy backed table cloths from the dollar store and thumb tack them to my wall. On occasion I take my lint roller to it and make the fuzzies stand up again, but they work great (for me).

misscarol 08-26-2011 03:39 AM

I have used basting spray before on the design wall and it works great!